This Week In Sports: 2/23/24

The MIAC Swimming and Diving Championships took place this week at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center. Eleanor Petrin ’25 cheers on her teammate Izzy Uhlhorn-Thornton ’26. Photo by Ava Cherry ’27.

Men’s tennis logs first MIAC win

• On Saturday, the men’s tennis team drove up Snelling to visit Hamline University for their first MI AC competition of the season, and the Scot s left with a narrow 5 – 4 vic tory. Jordan D oi ’25 and Kevin Mor t imer ’27 headlined the day for the Scot s, with each recording wins in singles and doubles matches.

• The nex t day, the Scots visited Grinnell College for an early afternoon face-off in which the Pioneers dominated, beating Macalester 8-1. Mortimer logged the Scot s’ lone point with a win on sixth singles.

Water polo hosts Macalester Invitationa l

• Over the weekend, the Scots hosted six water polo teams in Riley Pool for the Macalester Invitational. The Scots broke even on the tournament, going 2-2 across three days.

• The Scots recorded wins against the Virginia Military Ins titute and Occidental College, two teams they had never beaten in program his tor y, but they los t to McKendree Universit y and Ot tawa Universit y Arizona.

Women’s basketball closes season victorious

• For their final matchup of the season, the Scot s invited Augsburg University onto the Doug Bolstor ff Court, where the Scot s beat the Auggies 66-60. The win brought the Scot s’ record to 10 -15 on the season, marking the first 10-win season for the program since the 2016-17 campaign.

• The Scots had a balanced attack for their final duel, with Peyton Starks ’25 logging 18 points and nine rebounds, Katherine Norquist ’25 logging 11 points and eight rebounds and Sydnee Smith ’27 logging nine points and 11 rebounds.

Men’s track and field notches three individual wins

• The men’s track and field Scots ventured to Northfield on Saturday for the St. Olaf Tostrud Classic, where three Scots logged individual wins, all while recording new personal records.

• On the track, Arlo Heitler ’25 won the 400 meter dash with a time of 49.53. In the field, Riley Hodin ’25 won the triple jump with a 13.38 meter leap, and Austin Mills ’26 won the weight throw with a 14.91 meter toss.

Women’s swim and dive secures third at MIACs

• The Macalester women’s swim and dive team spent their week doing laps in the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center, and after four days of races, the Scots placed third out of nine teams.

• The Scots excelled in the individual events. Skye Schmit ’26 won the 200, 500 and 1650 yard freestyle races. Izzy Uhlhorn-Thornton ’26 won the 100 and 200 yard breaststroke races. Jocelyn Radke ’24 placed second in the 100 yard butterfly and the 100 yard freestyle.

• The Scots also won a relay, as Schmit swam with Emma Henry ’26, Natalie Pollock ’25 and Hannah Zurn ’26 in the 800 yard freestyle relay for a 7:44.13 first place finish.

• More info here

Women’s tennis drops non-conference match

• On Sunday, the women’s tennis team traveled to Iowa to face Grinnell College. Following an afternoon of brutal competition, the Scots left the Hawkeye State with a 2-7 loss.

• Sydney Ellison ’24 and Savannah Haugen ’26 represented the only Scot victories, and the only matches to go three sets. Ellison won on first singles and Haugen on fifth singles. 

Women’s track and field competes at Tostrud Classic 

The Scots visited Northfield on Saturday for the St. Olaf Tostrud Classic for their final meet before Indoor MIAC Championships next week.

• Diarra Chatham ’27 headlined the day for the Scots, winning the 60 meter dash in 7.75 seconds. For her efforts, Chatham won the MIAC Indoor Track Athlete of the Week award.

• Elise Edison ’27 earned third in the 200 meter dash with a 27.19 finish and Sarah Beth Hobby ’24 earned second in the 60 meter hurdles with a personal record of 9.69. Hobby also recorded a personal record in the high jump, reaching a height of 1.56 meters. Softball starts season 1-1 in Mankato

• The Scots started their season on Saturday in Mankato at the Maverick All-Sports Dome with a non-conference duel against North Central University, whom they beat in an 11-0 no-hitter behind the combined efforts of Kara Jensen ’26, Maddie Molay ’26 and Kaitlyn Pistorius ’25. 

In their second matchup of the day, the Scots’ luck did not hold, as they lost 2-8 to Bethany Lutheran College. Fiona Candland ’26 and Cheyenne Woerman ’24 were the only Scots to score in the defeat.

Men’s swim and dive earns fifth at MIACs 

The men’s swim and dive Scots spent their week competing in the MIAC Championships at the University of Minnesota Aquatic Center. After four days of competition, the Scots placed fifth out of six teams. 

Charles Batsaikhan ’25 headlined the week for the Scots, winning the 200 yard breaststroke in 2:04.18 and placing third in the 100 yard breaststroke. Batsaikhan also swam with Tommy Moore ’27, TJ Palli ’26 and Isaac Kisker ’25 in the 400 yard freestyle relay for a third place finish. 

More info here

Men’s basketball notches final win 

The men’s basketball Scots welcomed Augsburg University into the Leonard Center for their season finale, in which the Scots surpassed the Auggies in the MIAC standings after lodging a 79-65 win. 

In his final game for the Scots, Caleb Williams ’24 led his team in scoring with 22 points. His running mate Coby Gold ’25 added 21 points of his own, along with eight rebounds and seven assists. 

More info here