This Week In Sports: 2/9/24

This Week In Sports: 2/9/24

Men’s tennis opens season with loss

• The men’s tennis Scots began their 2024 campaign with a match against non-conference rival University of Wisconsin-Superior and lost, 7-2.
  • The Scots’ lone victories against the Yellow Jackets came from Lucas Wood ’25, who won in three sets on third singles, and Kevin Mortimer ’27, who won in two sets on sixth singles.

Women’s tennis smothers Superior

• The women’s tennis team opened their 2024 season with a beatdown on University of Wisconsin-Superior to the tune of 8-1.
  • The Scots won five of their six singles matchups, with Sydney Ellison ’24, Amanye Reynolds ’24, Meg Ulrich ’24, Elizabeth Trevathan ’26 and Savannah Haugen ’26 each refusing their opponents a third set in their victories.
  • The Scots won all three doubles matchups, including an 8-1 victory on first doubles by an Ellison-Trevathan tandem.

Men’s track and field sets personal records at U of M

• On Saturday, the men’s track and field team ventured to Minneapolis for the Gopher Classic, and the day featured a number of remarkable personal records for the Scots.
  • Ben Crotteau ’25 and Reece McKee ’25 both ran personal records in the mile, earning them third and fifth, respectively. Kalid Ali ’25 ran a personal record 1:25.22 in the 600 meter for a fourth-place finish.
  • In the field, Justin Veimau ’24 hopped for 12.66 meters in the triple jump, earning a third-place finish.

Women’s track and field stands out in Gopher Classic

• The Scots paid a visit to the University of Minnesota this weekend for the Gopher Classic, where they logged several outstanding performances.
  • On the track, Diarra Chatham ’27 won the 60 meter preliminaries and finals, posting a time of 7.81 seconds in the final. Elise Edison ’27 posted a personal record of 27.41 seconds in the 200 meter dash, which earned her a fifth-place finish.
  • In the field, Sarah Beth Hobby ’24 logged a sixth-place finish for a personal record 1.51 meter high jump and a fifth-place finish for a 4.93 meter long jump. Tessa Myatt ’27 earned a fourth-place finish with an 11.78 meter shot put.

Women’s basketball continues playoff push

• On Saturday, the women’s basketball Scots hosted St. Mary’s University and came away with a 67-60 victory.
  • After the Cardinals, who are winless in the MIAC this season, jumped out to a 14-0 lead to start the game, the Scots answered with a 22-2 run.
  • From there, the game remained close, but Peyton Starks ’25 posted a season-high 27 points and six steals to power the Scots to the win.
  • The Scots’ fortunes did not hold, however, against Gustavus Adolphus College on Monday, who beat them 75-33.
  • The Gusties, who are currently the fifth-ranked team in Division III, jumped out to an early lead which proved insurmountable, even after a standout 18-7 second quarter showing from the Scots. 
  • Starks again led the Scots, posting 16 points and seven rebounds.
  • On Wednesday, the Scots visited St. Catherine University, another mighty MIAC opponent, and though they fought hard, they couldn’t pull it out, losing 63-74.
  • The Scots kept the game close at the start and went into halftime with a slim lead, which they held onto until, with five minutes left in the third quarter, the Wildcats unleashed a 15-3 run and proceeded to put the Scots to bed in the fourth quarter.
  • For the third straight game, Starks led the Scots, scoring 21 points, grabbing six boards, and slamming four blocks against the Wildcats, though Sydnee Smith ’27 and Katherine Norquist ’25 aided Starks, each adding ten points to the losing effort.

Men’s basketball struggles to close season

• On Saturday, the men’s basketball Scots, in desperate need of a win heading into the homestretch of the season, welcomed St. Mary’s University onto the Doug Bolstorff Court and came away with a sour taste in their mouths, losing 69-72.
  • The Scots, who led the Cardinals by as many as 13 points in the second half, couldn’t close the door and crumbled in the final minutes. Coby Gold ’25 posted 10 points, eight assists, and seven rebounds, playing all but one minute in the losing effort.
  • The Scots struggled again on Monday at Gustavus Adolphus College, losing 70-83.
  • Despite getting within two points to start the second half, the Scots never had much of a hope, as they faced a double-digit deficit for most of the game. 
  • Eric Wentz ’26 put on the best performance for the Scots, scoring 22 points and grabbing seven rebounds while shooting four-of-seven from three.