This Week In Sports: 11/10

MiLani Terrell ’27 sends a ball back over the net for the Scots. Photo courtesy of Macalester Athletics.

Football comeback comes up short at home

• Against Augsburg University on Nov. 4, the Scots jumped out to a quick start in the last regular season game of the season before MIAC Championship Week.
  • The Scots matched the Auggies score for score through the first quarter, then fell behind in the second. In the fourth quarter, needing three touchdowns to come back, they found the endzone, recovered an onside kick, then scored another one, bringing the game to within one touchdown and a two-point conversion. However, the second onside attempt failed, and the Auggies held on to win, 42-34. 
  • Michael Nadeau’s ’24 final career regular season match ended with an impressive five touchdowns and 434 yards through the air. Nick Bice ’24 and Michael Poker ’24 capped off their respective regular season Scot careers with high totals as well. Nadeau’s accomplices hauled in two touchdowns each, with Bice putting up a team-leading 178 yards and Poker racking up 136 of his own.

Men’s soccer falls to Olaf in playoff duel

• The Scots traveled to Northfield, Minn. to play Saint Olaf College with a spot in the MIAC playoff finals up for grabs. A tricky long throw-in gave the Oles one, and a penalty gave them their second. Deadball wizard Elijah Edelman ’27 scored from a free kick to halve the deficit, but the Scots couldn’t get on level terms, losing 2-1 to end the season. 
  • More info on page idk

Men’s swim and dive out-touched by Knights

• At Carleton College’s Thorpe pool, the aquatic Scots were able to improve on their 2022 result against the Knights, but faced defeat nevertheless, 187-106.
  • Issac Kisker ’25 captured a quick win in the 50-yard event, and TJ Palli ’26 followed him in to make a Scots 1-2 in that event. Thomas Moore ’27 continued the Scots’ short-distance dominance with a win in the 100-yards.
  • On the distance side, Will Haby ’27 bossed the 1000-yard event, while also claiming second in the 500. 

Women’s swim and dive wins nailbiter at Carleton

• On Nov. 4, the Scots swam against Carleton College and ran into a rejuvenated Knights squad looking to avenge their 2022 defeat, the first time Macalester had ever beaten Carleton. In a 149.5-146.5 contest that came down to the last race, the Scots were able to continue their nascent winning streak.
  • Emma Henry ’26 and Izzy Uhlhorn-Thornton ’26 each won two individual events, the former taking the 200-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly, and the latter taking the 200-yard breaststroke and 200-yard individual medley.
  • Skye Schmit ’26 was the point of difference. She won the 1000-yards with a time that broke Heather Lendway’s ’08 pool record, then, with just one event of rest, won the 200. Later, she won her third individual event in the 500-yards and was part of the third-place relay team that sealed the victory in the last event. 
  • Holding a slim lead going into the final event, the 200-yard freestyle relay, the Scots needed a win, or to lock out the rest of the podium. A Carleton team took first and a Scots team took second, and it came down to both squads’ B relay teams. The Macalester team, buoyed by a monster 25.33 split by Natalie Pollock ’25 that was the third fastest across the entire event, took third place by 0.81 seconds, securing a dramatic victory.

Men’s cross country take second in trio meet

• The Scots came in second in the Cannon River Closer against two MIAC opponents on Nov. 2.
  • Gabe Thompson ’27 was first for the Scots in seventh overall, and fellow first-year Daniel Wiltse ’27 came right behind in 8th.

Women’s XC run Cannon River meet

• At the Cannon River Closer event against St. Olaf College and Bethel University, the Scots came in third of three, just behind the Royals. 
  • The swiftest Scot was Ella Krumm ’25 in 17th, followed by three Scots in a row in Anna Warren ’24, Julia Castellano ’26 and Norah Juzenas ’27 in 19th, 20th and 21st.

Men’s basketball plays exhibition, idk 

• At the historic Williams Arena on Nov. 2, the Scots lost to the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers, 97-73.
  • Caleb Williams turned heads with his individual performance, torching the Gophers for 41 points.
  • Back home for their official opener on Nov. 8, the Scots 
  • Kaden led the Scots with 23 points, 6 rebounds, and 5 assists, but the Yellow Jackets’ physicality proved too much for the Scots.

Volleyball ends on a high note

• On Nov. 4, senior night, the Scots faced St. Mary’s University (Minn.) for their last battle of the season. They romped through the first two sets, and set themselves up on match point in the third before eventually being pushed to a fourth. In that frame, they didn’t waver, and four straight points — capped off by Nalani Tokuhama ’24 ending the game with a kill in her last play as a Scot — secured the 3-1 win.
  • Adisa Preston ’25 had a huge night, with 21 kills, followed closely by Avery Rahe ’26 with 17. Hannah Morrow ’27 ended her rookie campaign leading the Scots in three categories on the night, finishing with a towering 50 assists, 26 digs and three service aces.