This Week In Sports: 10/13/23

This Week In Sports: 10/13/23

Football falls to Skyline rival

• In their first division match against Bethel University on Oct. 7, the Scots fell 49-14. After going down 35-0, the Scots looked to mount a comeback with two touchdowns, but came up short.
  • Michael Nadeau ’24 was back in action and put up more yards in his impressive senior campaign, throwing for 319 yards against the Royals. Michael Poker ’24 also had a big game, with 170 receiving yards and a touchdown reception on a 82-yard play in the fourth quarter.

Women’s golf ends strong at MIAC Championships tournament

• Over the weekend of Oct. 6-8, the Scots contested the MIAC Championship tournament, and came in fourth as a team in the three-round event.
  • Bailey Lengfelder ’26 led the way for the Scots, shooting 78 in all three rounds to finish just off the podium in a tie for fourth. 
  • Phebe Chen ’24 also did well, coming in t-13th individually, while Scarlett Liu ’26 rounded out the Scots’ top 3 in 27th overall.

Women’s soccer splits conference pair

• At a chilly home event on Oct. 7 against College of St. Scholastica, the Scots were able to bring home a win for the Mac Fest audience, extending to a 4-game win streak after a 1-0 victory.
  • In the 22nd minute, Mia Brisbin ’24 unlocked the Saints defense with a through ball that put Julia Hanson ’27 in on net, and the first-year provided the only goal of the game with a cool finish. 
  • After the go-ahead, the Scots kept pushing for more goals, totaling 12 shots, but their rock-solid defense ensured that it wouldn’t be necessary, as Abigail Heuga ’27 made an agile save to her near post in Scholastica’s most promising chance.
  • On Oct. 10, Macalester faced a daunting challenge when they went up against undefeated defending champions Carleton College, and ended up falling 1-0.
  • The Scots went down 1-0 in the first half, and as Heuga made a herculean 15-save effort to keep them in it, the Scots made the Knights work for it. The offense started clicking in the second half, and they finished with six shots on frame, though no goals to show for it.

Men’s soccer wins at home, falls away

• Against College of St. Scholastica on Oct. 7, the Scots wowed the Mac Fest audience by putting on a clinic against the Saints, winning 3-0.
  • Macalester bossed the tempo, and earned a 1-0 lead with a Hans Haenicke ’25 finish on a 1v1 with the keeper. In the second half, the Scots put it out of reach with two majestic goals from Branko Sciortino ’24. 
  • Against national #7 side Carleton College, the Scots put up a big fight but eventually fell 2-1. After going down early, the Scots equalized with a precision shot from Ian Staresinic ’25, but conceded again. They continued to fight, but an extremely dubious straight red card to captain Zade Alafranji ’24 left the Scots without much to fight back with(italicize).

Volleyball falls twice in close contests

• On Oct. 7, the Scots faced St. Catherine University, and lost 3-2 in a five-set battle.
  • Adisa Preston ’25 had a big night with 17 kills, and Hannah Morrow ’27 had 29 digs.
  • On Oct. 11, the Scots fell 3-0 against College of St. Benedict. A serve by Morrow gave the Scots an 11-0 lead to open the first set, but they couldn’t keep the momentum going, and were eventually defeated.
  • More info here