Of Rice and Ramen: Spicy Korean Miso Stew

Completed Doenjang jigae *Photos by Ashley Hung ’16*

Doenjang jigae is something that reminds me quite a bit of home. My grandmother on my mom’s side is from Seoul and is always in search of the best Korean restaurant in the Kansas City metro — something that reminds her of what her grandmother used to cook. As a result, when I’m home for long breaks, we will schedule lunch dates to whatever Korean restaurant is her favorite at the time. Over the years, this spicy stew has become one of my favorite things to order, at first because I didn’t know how to cook it myself. Now I have a recipe to share with you this week that will keep you (and your palate!) warm in the inevitable cold.

Notes: Use less red pepper paste and/or jalapeno if you are sensitive to spice. The red pepper paste is a little bit sweet and garlicky, so it brings with it flavors other than spiciness. This would also be delicious as a miso stew without spice, though! Omit the beef for a vegetarian option.

Doenjang Jigae

Ingredients

• ¼ cup red pepper paste (gochu jang)
  • ½ cup fermented soy paste (doenjang)
  • 1 cup zucchini, sliced lengthwise and into ¼” pieces
  • 2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into ¼“ slices
  • 3 – 4 button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 lb. tofu, cut lengthwise and into ¼” slices
  • 1 small onion, julienned
  • 2 jalapeños, sliced on diagonal
  • 4 – 5 cloves garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
  • ½ lb. steak, chopped into bite size pieces
  • 1 C bean sprouts
  • 6 cups water
  • cooked white rice for serving

Directions

• Prepare and chop all ingredients as directed.
  • Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a medium-large pot.
  • Prepare broth by stirring in the red pepper paste and soybean paste into the boiling water until dissolved.
  • Add all vegetables and steak, then stir so they are distributed around. Add the tofu and be careful to not break it up too much.
  • Let it all cook for 20-30 minutes. This could be done in a slow cooker if you have one available.
  • Enjoy with steamed white rice.
  • Enjoy with steamed white rice.

Serves 4+ people