Of Rice and Ramen: Kitchen Sink Fried Rice – Choose your ingredients

Kitchen sink fried rice is named because you can switch around ingredients, putting in “everything but the kitchen sink.” It’s easy to make using any ingredients or produce you already have. Photos by Ashley Hung ’16.

I’m calling this “kitchen sink” fried rice because you can put in anything you want and use as many ingredients as you want — everything but the kitchen sink. I like to make fried rice if I have a bunch of random things in the fridge. I always have onions, rice, and eggs on hand, so at worst, I have plain fried rice. For this recipe, I had potatoes, green onions and Chinese sausage, so I decided to go with a breakfast take on this quick dish. Feel free to switch up the ingredients according to what you have on hand or what you like. Other possibilities include ham, mushrooms, bean sprouts, carrots, peas or garlic cloves. Try making this more than once with different ingredients.

In Chinese, fried rice is called chao fan, literally stir-fried rice. Chao means to stir while cooking, which is what you have to do to cook the rice evenly.

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 link Chinese sausage (cut on diagonal into 1 cm slices)
  • 3 jalapeno slices (to taste)
  • 1 stalk green onion, cut on diagonal into 1/2 cm pieces
  • 1 small potato, peeled and diced into 1 cm cubes
  • 3 cups cooked white rice
  • 2 – 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 2 tsp. soy sauce
  • salt and white pepper
  • sesame oil (optional)

Directions

• Scramble the egg in a bowl by itself.
  • Heat oil in a 10’’ or larger skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat.
  • Add the scrambled egg and cook until it is mostly done, as much as you would cook an omelet before flipping. Take it out and put it back in the bowl.
  • Add onions, jalapenos and potatoes to the skillet and cook while stirring. Salt the vegetables. Let the potatoes cook until they are soft and start to form a golden brown crisp on the outside.
  • Add the cooked rice and start stirring! I like to alternate stirring for one minute and letting the rice cook for one minute. Do this twice then add a drizzle of soy sauce. In traditional Chinese cooking, soy sauce is used more for color than flavor — you can compensate saltiness with actual salt. Do the stir – cook method once more.
  • Add the eggs and green onions, salt and pepper and give it a final couple of stir — cooks. If you are feeling up to it, add a drizzle (maybe 1/2 tsp) of sesame oil for an additional layer of fragrance.

Serves 1-2. 20 minutes prep.