This Week In Sports: 2/2/24

Eric Wentz ’26 goes up for a midrange shot over a Bethel defender. Wentz posted 11 points in the losing effort. Photo by Eleanor Lazaroff ’27.

Men’s basketball drop a pair on the road to the postseason

• The Scots welcomed St. John’s University onto the Doug Bolstorff court for a mid-afternoon matchup last Saturday. After a competitive first half, the MIAC-leading Johnnies pulled away and put the game out of reach, beating the Scots 76-59.
  • Caleb Williams ’25 led the Scots with 20 points, five rebounds and four assists. Coby Gold ’25 helped him out with 19 points, five rebounds and three assists of his own, but no other Scot scored more than six points.
  • On Wednesday, Bethel University visited the Scots, who fought hard, but couldn’t mount a comeback strong enough to overcome a double-digit halftime deficit, losing 69-85.
  • Tom Andreae ’25 played a critical role in keeping the Scots in the game, posting nine points, eight assists, and seven rebounds, as well as three crucial steals.
  • More info here.

Women’s basketball falls to two playoff teams

• Macalester’s women’s basketball team hosted College of St. Benedict in the Leonard Center for an early afternoon face-off where the Scots lost 49-64.
  • The Scots led by a point going into halftime, thanks to stout defense and solid shooting, but they couldn’t hold onto it in the second half, as the Bennies put together a 21-point third quarter and never looked back. 
  • Peyton Starks ’25 led the Scots, recording a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds.
  • The Scots went on the road on Wednesday to visit Bethel University, where the Royals put a beating on Macalester, winning 79-50.
  • The Royals jumped out to an early lead, going up by double-digits to end the first quarter. The Scots tried to mount a second-quarter comeback, but a 25-point third quarter for the Royals put an end to that.
  • Peyton Starks ’25 led the Scots in scoring with 19 points, and Katherine Norquist ’25 backed her up with 12 points and five rebounds.

Women’s swim and dive suffers narrow defeat to Grinnell

• The Scots faced off against Grinnell College at Riley Pool over the weekend for their final home meet of the season in which the Scots came up short, falling 129-144 to the Pioneers.
  • The Scots bookended the meet with relay wins. To open the meet, Verity Wray-Raabolle ’25, Izzy Uhlhorn-Thornton ’26, Olga Merkadeau ’25 and Jocelyn Radke ’24 swam a time of 1:50.77 to win the 200-yard medley relay. To close it, Radke, Merkadeau, Natalie Pollock ’25 and Emma Henry ’26 won the 200-yard freestyle relay with a 1:40.14 finish.
  • Henry, Uhlhorn-Thornton and Radke all notched first-place finishes in individual events, as well as Skye Schmit ’26, who won the 500-yard freestyle in 5:22.62, Caroline Chapon ’25, who won the 50-yard freestyle in 25.57 and Claire Stretanski ’27, who won the 1650-yard freestyle in 19:07.74.

Men’s swim and dive falls to Grinnell

• On Saturday, the men’s swim and dive Scots hosted Grinnell College in Riley Pool for their last meet of the season in their own waters. The Scots struggled against the nationally ranked squad and fell in unceremonious fashion, 199-83.
  • Despite their elite competition, the Scots managed to pull out a trio of first-place finishes in individual events. Adam Schroeder ’25 won the 1650-yard freestyle in 18:23.14, Thomas Moore ’27 won the 100-yard freestyle in 48.69 and Dylan Herlihy ’26 won the three-meter dive with a 189.35 score.

Men’s track and field claims fifth-place finish

• Over the weekend, the Scots’ men’s track and field team took a trip to Northfield to compete against 10 other teams in the St. Olaf Invitational. The Scots took advantage of three first-place finishes in individual events to nab a fifth-place finish with a score of 79.
  • Arlo Heitler ’25 won the 400 meter dash with a time of 50.06, the 56th-best time recorded in national Division III athletics all year. Kelvin Moresi ’27 took the mile race in 4:28.42 and Ben Crotteau ’25 took the 3000 meter race, clocking in at 8:51.93.

Women’s track and field competes in St. Olaf Invitational

• The Scots visited Northfield this weekend to compete in a 12-team meet at St. Olaf College. After two days of competition, the Scots came away with 24 points, which earned them an eighth-place finish.
  • Though they did not log any first-place finishes on the weekend, two Scots put their names in the Macalester record books. Diarra Chatham ’27 claimed third in the 200 meter in 26.56, the eighth best time in Scot history, and Tessa Myatt ’27 placed third in the shot put with a 12.0 meter throw,the fifth-furthest throw in Scot history.