Flavors of home: a celebration of Filipino food in the Twin Cities

On Thursday, Oct. 19, the Filipino Association at Macalester (FAM) hosted the Panlasa Panel: Flavors of Home at the John B. Davis Lecture Hall to celebrate heritage and culinary traditions as part of Filipino American Heritage Month.

FAM invited three Filipino chefs from the Twin Cities to share their insights into the cultural adaptations and evolution of Filipino cuisine within the United States. The panelists were Jailin Tabares, the chef and owner of Kusina and Inday’s Kitchen Food Truck; Rowan Gutierrez, a cook and the proprietor of Manila Sizzling Wok and Grill; and Cassie Rogers ’21, the current culinary storyteller of Greener Pastures.

The panelists discussed how their journey to involvement in the Philippine culinary scene stemmed from their family.  

“When I was seven years old, back in the Philippines, my mom taught me to [cook],” Tabares said. 

“My background is not really a chef or cook; I just cook at home for my family,” Gutierrez added. 

Tabares highlighted that she aimed to incorporate the Filipino culture of hospitality in her business. 

“In Kusina, we always say you’re not going to a restaurant; you’re coming to a home and making yourself home,” she continued.

Gutierrez also shared his goal of introducing the concept of the carinderia — a small eatery that serves affordable and locally-inspired Filipino dishes — in his restaurant.

Despite their passion and dedication, each chef has faced challenges throughout their journey. 

“When we first opened Kusina, people were asking if we had pad thai and sticky rice,” Tabares said. 

This led her to recognize the importance of introducing Filipino food and culture to the community. Over time, her efforts paid off as people developed a genuine appreciation for these flavors and traditions. Rogers later acknowledged Tabares and Guttierez for their work in establishing Filipino cuisine in Minnesota. 

Rogers discussed how before 2019, University Avenue had only one Asian grocery store, and seeing Filipino restaurants was a rarity. However, more Filipino restaurants are now emerging in the Twin Cities area, such as Kusina, Pinoy Fusion, Apoy, Ku.Ma.In. and Phil Oriental Imports.

“[Filipino restaurants are] continuing to grow because of businesses like yours [Kusina and Manila Sizzling Wok and Grill] navigating the situation and trying to introduce and educate about [Filipino cuisine],” Rogers said. 

With the growing interest in Filipino cuisine, the panelists expressed optimism for the future of Filipino food in the Twin Cities and the United States.

“Filipino food is not a craze,” Rogers said. “Our food is a symbol of our identity, our love for each other and how we care for each other. We’re not going anywhere.”

While some may see the rising number of Filipino restaurants as competition, Gutierrez believes that their growth is a valuable addition to the Filipino restaurant community.

“We will just keep growing in the future, and the people will recognize Filipino food,” Tabares added.