How to fix the Republican party: A three-step solution

The Republican party is dying, and I’m pissed. Only when both major parties put forth compelling multi-issue candidates does the United States engage in intelligent political discourse and elect a president truly deserving of the position. The party that was once the steady, pragmatic face of American progress has become a collection of radicalized and out-of-touch “career politicians,” much to the frustration of moderate and undecided voters. That being said, to any Republican presidential hopefuls reading this issue of The Mac Weekly — hey, it could happen — hope is most certainly not lost. If the GOP streamlines its views in accordance with the changing times, a Republican may soon call the White House home.

Step One: Global warming exists.

This is not a political issue and should not be treated as such. Global warming is scientific fact, not a liberal agenda. Scientists from all over the world, not just the United States, have gathered and published an incredible amount of raw data clearly indicating the presence of climate change and its destructive impact on our planet. Conservative voters who no longer have to choose between our planet’s future and a Republican president will flock to the polls come November.

Step Two: Find your chill on social issues.

According to recent Gallup polls, 80% of Americans, regardless of political affiliation, believe that abortion should be legal in some form, and 60% of Americans support the continued legal validation of gay marriage. Why, then, do Republicans insist on placing such a high degree of importance on eliminating gay marriage and abortion rights? There’s a reason Hillary Clinton would rather talk foreign policy than Wall Street; good politicians pick fights they know they can win.

The Republican party should shift focus from these issues entirely, rather than dragging them into the spotlight. No Republican has to begin publicly supporting liberal social views, but by removing such issues from the party’s central platform and making no obvious efforts to either support or decry the legality of these contentious subjects, the party will be far less likely to lose the many American voters who identify as Democrat based solely on their social beliefs.

Additionally, by extending the party’s central philosophy of laissez-faire to the issues of marriage and reproductive rights, Republicans can more effectively market themselves as the true face of American individualism. They would stand in favor of letting all citizens, even those they wholeheartedly disagree with, make their own choices, free from the heavy-handed interference of an inefficient, overlarge government.

Step Three: Immigrants are voters too!

There exists in America a sizable collective of socially conservative Christians with strong family values, who voted overwhelmingly for Democrats during the last two election cycles. As you may have guessed from the giant heading above this section, I’m referring to Mexican and Central American immigrants who have since gained citizenship and voting rights. The xenophobia and blatant racism that mainstream Republicans direct towards both Hispanic and Latino immigrants and Hispanics and Latinos born in America does absolutely nothing to help enact comprehensive immigration reform and serves only to alienate voters. A Republican candidate who proposes no-nonsense, non-punitive, bipartisan immigration reform while still treating his or her constituents with respect and humanity will find themselves garnering votes from one of America’s most influential and swiftly-growing demographics.

The once-formidable Republican party is now in dire straits, its support base eroding with each passing election. Only by acknowledging critical environmental issues, ceasing the promotion of wildly unpopular social platforms and making genuine overtures towards the Hispanic and Latino vote can Republicans once again pose a genuine threat to their Democratic opponents and revitalize the American political system.