Women swim and dive to 7th at MIAC

By Will Kennedy

After a slow start on the first day of the MIAC championships, Macalester women’s swimming and diving rebounded to surpass neighborhood rival St. Catherine’s and place seventh out of 11 teams.”The first day people weren’t really ready and weren’t as excited as they could’ve been,” Captain Kristin Mathson ’08 said. “We recognized [those problems] and moved past them. We really stepped up after that.”

Macalester finished 12 points a head of St. Catherine’s and 27 points behind sixth place Hamline.

After practicing with the team for only half the season, Annie Flanagan ’09 matched her second place performance in the three-meter dive from a year ago to earn another all-MIAC certificate. She also finished fifth in the one-meter dive. “It was very impressive to watch Annie come back from study aboard and finish second,” Head Coach Bob Pearson said.

Other top scores for the Scots included Anna Gajewski ’10 who placed 10th in the mile swim and Kiersten Yeazel who placed 15th in the 200 yard breaststroke. “Everyone swam really, really well,” Mathson said, adding that during relays, “everyone who wasn’t swimming was screaming.”

Mac’s captain wrapped up her Macalester swim career by finishing 15th in the 200-yard backstroke.

“Being able to be there with the team was really fun and emotional because it was the last swim for me,” Mathson said.

Mathson, along with Emily Clark ’08 are the only two graduating from the 17 woman roster. This bodes well for a team that battled illness, injuries, and study abroad absences for much of the season.

“With a new athletic facility, recruiting will be a lot easier,” Mathson said.
After a five-month-long season, and three trying days of championship competition, the Scots will try to recuperate and eventually recommence training as they prepare for next Oct., when they will begin practice in the Macalester Athletic and Recreation Center.