Under the stadium lights: Allison Kappeyne, soccer

By Jack Wickham

Allison Kappeyne ’12, one of the women’s soccer team’s goalkeepers, made her starting varsity debut this year in a 2-1 win against University of Wisconsin-Platteville. Mac Weekly: So where are you from?

Allison: I’m from Los Angeles, California. I live on the coast, right by the beach.

MW: Do you have any siblings?

A: Yup. I have a twin sister, fraternal. She goes to University of Pennsylvania, and her name is Christine. I also have an older brother. He goes to Reed College, and his name is Nick. He has longer hair than me… he’s a freakin’ hippie.

MW: Haha, nice. So what’s your major?

A: As of now, I’m planning on majoring in environmental studies with a sustainable design core, so that means I have a physics and art minor. I might also do an art major, I’m not sure.

MW: What do you plan to do with that?

A: I’d like to go to grad school, maybe at Berkeley. Hopefully to environmental design school to do architecture. Save the environment pretty much.

MW: Wow. How’d you get into that?

A: I really like designing. I did set design for school. I was in AP Environment in high school. I was like “What can I do that combines everything I like?” That’s physics, art and science. So there’s a little bit of math in there, a little bit of physics, a little bit of art, and a little bit of science. All that together equals green architecture. Why not? It sounds interesting. I also talked to one of our family friends who is an architect in California, and he does stuff all over the world and also in the LA area, and he’s built huge houses. I was just really interested and talked to him for about three hours straight about architecture and different things that I could possibly focus on in architectural design.

MW: Wow, that’s intense. So back to athletics. How long have you been playing soccer?

A: I’ve been playing soccer since I was four years old, so that’s fifteen years.

MW: Were you always a goalie?

A: No. I first started as a field player. I was a left mid actually. I always got assists but I never got goals. When I got to high school I was a back-up keeper on my club team. In high school they told me I could play varsity if I was starting as a goalkeeper. I’ve been playing goalie for five years now. This is my sixth year. So now it’s my position, and sometimes I play field on jv!

MW: Did you ever do any other sports?

A: When I was younger, I kind of had those parents that were like, “you get to try every sport until you find one you like,” and I kind of just stuck with soccer. All the sports I’ve played include tennis, swimming, gymnastics, track, baseball, basketball, and karate. I also did ballet, jazz, and tap. I’ve tried a lot of sports, but I always stuck with soccer. I actually used to swim competitively for five years but then I quit during high school and stuck with soccer because I needed to decide between swimming fourteen times a week and soccer. I chose soccer over that. I kind of wish I had stuck with swimming because I did enjoy it a lot, but it’s too time consuming. I’m good with one sport.

MW: What’s your best Macalester soccer moment so far?

A: I don’t feel like I’ve had an extremely competitive game. I guess the highlight is finally making varsity this year.

MW: Awesome. Thanks for doing the interview!

A: Thank you!