Track and field flies south for Emory Invitational

By Megan Walsh

Menƒ?TMs track and field shipped 30 athletes off to Atlanta, Ga. to compete last weekend against Division I, II, and III teams in the Emory Invitational.ƒ?oeIt was good overall in that we got to run on an outside track,ƒ?? Tammie Khumalo ƒ?TM06 said of Macƒ?TMs first outdoor meet.

For the most part, the Scots turned in solid performances. While the weather in Georgia was not as warm as the team had hoped, but the track was clean and the team had plenty of competition. ƒ?oeIt was a great opportunity to see new faces from every division and all over the country,ƒ?? head coach Martin
Peper said.

The menƒ?TMs team performed well in a variety of events in the meet. Top performances included a first place finish by Alex Wise ƒ?TM07 in the pole vault with a mark of 4.55 meters, and third place finishes by Tyler Schwecke ƒ?TM08 and Josh Springer ƒ?TM08 in the triple jump and 800 meter run respectively.

Austin McCartney- Melstad ƒ?TM06 and George Robbins ƒ?TM07 recorded personal bests in the hammer
throw and shot put events.

The team enters the outdoor season hopeful and healthy. ƒ?oeDuring the indoor season we had a lot of good athletes that were nicked up or sick and couldnƒ?TMt perform as well as they would have liked,ƒ?? Peper said. ƒ?oeNow that people are healthy and able to compete, they are going to help make the team that much better.ƒ??

According to Peper competition truly begins for the Mac squad during outdoor season, as the main purpose of the indoor season is to train and prepare for the spring. During outdoor competition, runners have more room than on the tight, 200 meter indoor track. ƒ?oeStrategies in competition vary as well as obstacles such as weather, wind and temperature,ƒ?? Peper said.

Coach Peper is optimistic about the season because of the teamƒ?TMs depth. ƒ?oeFor the first time in many years we have people in position to place in every event. Thatƒ?TMs exciting. We havenƒ?TMt had that before,ƒ?? he said. Peper also expressed enthusiasm about a group of young hurdlers, and has confidence in a strong group
of middle distance runners. Peper also expects the team to perform well in throwing competitions and feels strongly that Mac athletes will be able to place in the pole vault, triple jump and hurdle competitions.

ƒ?oeWe are looking to score more team points in the 4×100 and 4×400 relays,ƒ?? Khumalo said.

While Peper recognizes the importance of individual athletic ability on the team, he stresses the importance of overall team improvement.

ƒ?oeStrong performances and effort create positive energy for everyone to feed off of.ƒ??

The goals of the team are to steadily improve and perform well in the conference meet on May 12. With health, depth and athleticism on its side, the menƒ?TMs track and field team is expecting to improve significantly on their
ninth place finish at last yearƒ?TMs outdoor MIAC championship meet.

The menƒ?TMs team will take the experience it gained in Atlanta to the meet this coming weekend at the St. Johnƒ?TMs/ St. Benƒ?TMs Invitational.