The Last Word

Macalester Soccer Let’s be clear: sports have not been a strongpoint at Macalester in recent years. Last spring, teams rested at or near the bottom of the MIAC, football has yet to win a game this year, and our athletics building is rather outdated (soon to be changed).

But with every rule, there is an exception.

Soccer is for Macalester what basketball is for Duke; what football is for Notre Dame; what hockey is for Minnesota.

The only sport to win a MIAC championship in at least a decade, if not two, both men’s and women’s soccer teams consistently finish at the top of the conference, yielding numerous all-Americans. Both teams, led by the prodigal coaches John Leaney and Ian Barker, produce win after win to the delight of the loud and rowdy Macalester crowds.

On Saturday, both the men’s and women’s teams, ranked 25th and 3rd in the nation respectively, play for the MIAC Championship–at home. Come and watch, cheer, yell, and take part in an event that is an essential aspect of the Macalester experience.

Macalester Stadium. Saturday. 2:00 for the Women, 7:30 for the men.