Tell Klobuchar: Support the Clean Air Act!

By Nick Matzke

Most Minnesotans take it for granted that our air will be breathable and our water will be drinkable. We assume that someone is out there protecting our environment from unsafe chemicals and emissions. However, big energy companies and their lobbyists in Washington are fighting to weaken these common sense standards and place our children and our communities at risk. Recently, the EPA moved forward on new rules regulating the amount of mercury and other toxins emitted from power plants. The industry is making wild claims that these rules will shut down power plants and turn off our lights. Nothing could be further from the truth. In reality, these new standards will not only protect lives and prevent heart attacks and other health problems; they will spur innovation and lead to job creation, according to a recently released report from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. Thanks to these new, stronger rules against dangerous air pollution, the power companies will develop new technology to scrub their emissions of mercury, arsenic and other toxic pollutants. President Obama deserves our thanks. He moved forward with stronger rules against deadly air pollution and as a result we’ll all breathe cleaner air and eat better food. And, as a bonus, our lights are still on. Locally, we must continue to call on U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar to follow Obama’s lead, stand up to the big polluters, and oppose any and all attacks on the Clean Air Act. Minnesota, and the rest of the country, will be better off if she does. refresh –>