Sushi Tango: Innovation in Uptown

By Jenny Ledig

Tucked in the corner on the 2nd floor of a small indoor mall in the heart of Uptown, Sushi Tango is a very Americanized Japanese restaurant. Although we went during an off time, it doesn’t seem like it would be hard to get a spot thanks to their many seating options: a large bar, lengthy sushi bar, and numerous regular and teppanyaki tables. The décor is kind of deconstructed glam; the glitzy chandeliers hang from the exposed ceiling giving off very low light. This is a good place to go with groups since it can accommodate a wide range of budgets as well as comfort levels or familiarity with Japanese food. The menu is extensive and has safer and more standard options like edamame, fried rice, and tempura as well as more ambitious plates like ginger ika (sautéed squid with a ginger sauce) and a sushi roll that is blowtorched before arriving at your table. For an appetizer, we tried the fire cracker shrimp that are coated in a garlic pepper sauce, attractively presented in a wonton shell. For $10 it would have been nice to have a few more shrimp, but it was obviously made with high quality ingredients and was a real crowd pleaser.

The sushi menu is very innovative and has some unusual combinations like a spam roll and puts a new spin on classics, like the inside out Philly roll. Min Kyu “M” Kim ’13 made a bold choice and opted for the centipede that consists of smoked eel, avocado and cucumber topped off with thin slices of strawberries. While impressed by their creativity, M noted that, “when I ordered the eel, I wanted to taste the eel,” and was disappointed to find that strawberry was the overpowering flavor. M suggested it would be a “good beginner eel dish.”

I tried the Vegas roll, which is as fun as its namesake. The roll was a great mix of cream cheese, avocado, cucumber and shrimp, all fried in tempura batter. While maybe not the best choice for sushi purists, I loved it and it was a hit with the rest of the table.

Ming Yen ’13 was brave and made a break-out move ordering the Taekwon roll, so we could try their truly unusual sushi. The Taekwon roll, made with bulgogi and wrapped in seaweed had potential, but really fell flat. It seemed that it was more about the novelty of the dish than the actual execution of the food. While there were some self-proclaimed harsh critics of the bulgogi at the table, even those of us with less exacting standards found it to be unappetizing.

.Afraid the sushi wouldn’t be enough, we ordered chicken fried rice for the table. It was filling and also fresh tasting, thanks to the pickled radish, but was a little on the oily side for Ming.

Before we knew it, it was the beginning of Happy Hour and we couldn’t resist ordering a reduced price appetizer. The pork dumplings were hot and fresh with a thin fried exterior and for only $3, a steal. Happy hour runs from 5 – 7 pm and 10 – midnight, Monday through Wednesday. From Thursday to Sunday it’s from noon – 6 pm and 10 – midnight; however, there is no late night happy hour on Friday and Saturday nights.

Even on a late, snowy Monday night, when most of the restaurant was deserted, you could tell that this is a fun restaurant to come to. The portions are good for sharing and would be a great place to come with a group of friends or have a romantic evening with that special someone. Happy Hour may be the best option for students who want tasty sushi and Japanese food while on a tight budget. The food is pretty good and the extensive and creative menu means everyone can find something to eat, but you could get a better bang for your buck closer to campus.

3001 Hennepin Avenue

Minneapolis, MN 55408

Monday – Wednesday: 5 pm – 1 am

Thursday – Sunday: Noon – 1 am