Stay Sex+Positive

We the Sex+Positive Committee are thrilled to present to you Macalester’s very first Sex+Positive Week! We believe this is a momentous event for Macalester, and that this campus would absolutely benefit from discussions surrounding sex positivity. Now before you start imagining a campus-wide orgy, let us give you the low down on what “sex+positive” means to us: Our sex+positive movement believes that sexuality is a potentially positive force in our lives. It foregrounds the belief that there are not three, four or half a dozen, but millions of sexual expressions, desires, and fantasies. From the asexual to the downright kinky, one of the goals for this week is to celebrate the diversity of these expressions on campus. Although related to Safer Sex Week, Sex+Positive Week makes a point to confront messages of hate, shame, and coercion regarding sex with positive messages of choice and acceptance. All sex should be safe, sane, and consensual. Unfortunately, we live in a culture that bombards us with sex-negative messages-eradicating sexual difference and causing people to feel guilty and ashamed of their bodies and pleasures. Sex-negativity does not affect everyone in the same way. Oppression operates uniquely for people of different races, ethnicities, classes, genders, sexualities and abilities. Sex+Positive Week will tackle issues of race and sex, sex and survivors sexual assault, and will promote queer, kink and fat positivity. We feel these are important conversations that must be talked about in order to have a sex+positive environment at Macalester. A sex+positive environment is one that inspires people to make healthy and consensual decisions regarding sex and to explore what is sexy and pleasurable to them without judgment from others. The choice not to have sex is just as important as the choice to have lots of really kinky sex, and both should be respected.

Beginning this Wednesday, Feb. 10, we invite you to attend an exciting list of events, including a movie screening of Kinsey, caucuses and auxiliaries promoting discussions of sex positivity, a “What is Sexy to You?” dance, and workshops you wont want to miss. Don’t miss our kickoff event on Wednesday at 7pm in JBD-we will be unveiling the fabulous student-produced zine, SEXPOSITIONS: Stimulating Cliterature! Now in the words of Salt-N-Pepa.

Lets talk about sex, baby
Lets talk about you and me
Lets talk about all the good things
And the bad things that may be!

Signed,
Noah Exum ’12
Bobbi Gass ’10
Stephanie Stoumbelis ’10
Linda Nguyen ’10
Angela Gutierrez ’11
Sarah Mueller ’11
Angelina Momanyi ’12
Shaina Davis ’13