Softball wins one

Winning one of ten games during its spring trip to Orlando, Macalester softball nevertheless had some reasonƒ?”aside from the weatherƒ?”to be pleased with its time in Florida. ƒ?oeWe definitely did better than last year,ƒ?? Laura Meinke ƒ?TM06. Meinke contributed five RBIƒ?TMs to a seemingly improved Scots offense which scored 13 runs over the break and picked up a 4-2 victory against Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts in the teamƒ?TMs final game of the break. Last year, the Scots managed zero wins and only three runs for the entire tournament.

Underclassmen Katie Grudnowski ƒ?TM08, Kate Ziegler ƒ?TM09, and Meredith Wisniewski ƒ?TM09 all batted above .300 during the trip and helped spearhead the Scots offense. Defensively the team was hampered by errors, but Kristen Mainz ƒ?TM07 gave an excellent performance in Macalesterƒ?TMs win against their generically named rivals from the Bay State, pitching seven innings and giving up four hits and no earned runs in the win.

Mac did suffer several blowouts, including a 20-0 loss to UW River Falls, but according to Meinke that isnƒ?TMt getting anybody down.

ƒ?oeThe beginning of the season is going to be pretty rough to start off with,ƒ?? she said. ƒ?oeBut itƒ?TMs good just to get out on the dirt, especially with the new