Res. life changes create jobs, opportunities

By Colleen Good

Residential Life is beginning to consider ways to address complaints from sophomore class members about what they see as a lack of sufficient on-campus living options. Students should already be seeing some changes in the residential halls this year.
Mieke Berg, the former Residential Hall Director (RHD) of Doty-Turck and current RHD of Wallace, 30 Mac, and Bigelow Halls, said that one such alteration is the creation of new positions within the Res. Life hierarchy.For Matt Petcoff ’08, this restructuring offered him an opportunity to move up a rung on the work-study ladder. Petcoff, who has been a Residential Assistant (RA) for two years, is now one of two Senior Resident Assistants and is in charge of organizing sophomore social events, Berg said.

Among the upcoming events will be a 100th anniversary celebration for Wallace Hall.

Another position, the recently appointed Sophomore Class Advisor, will help sophomores with key academic decisions. The class advisor is John Mountain, who works in Kagin as the Associate Director of the Career Development Center.

Last year, Berg hosted one of a series of “open forums” for students living in Doty and Turck. The purpose of the forums was to get student input on issues from vending machines to whether they preferred single, double or triple dorm rooms.

One of the more common suggestions among the students was that “extra” sophomores living in Dupre be moved to Turck, Berg said. This would not only give those sophomores with bad room draw numbers better rooms, but also relieve them of their “exile” status, bringing them closer to other sophomores living in the Wallace, Bigelow and 30 Mac dorms.

Peg Olson, the Associate Director of Residential Life, said that moving sophomores to Turck could not happen because it would force first-years into Dupre singles, something the college generally tries to avoid.

Though sophomores will continue to live in Dupre, Res. Life did take some student suggestions. The all-sophomore floor has been moved from the fifth to the second floor, giving sophomores easier access to the computer labs located on the second and third floors.

Though there are still sophomores spread throughout the third and fourth floors of Dupre, not all of them object.

Katherine Horstkotte ’10, a Dupre resident, said, “It’s really not that bad. I was sort of upset at the time, but now it’s definitely fine.