Rally to save GAMC program

General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC) is a healthcare program in Minnesota that, for the last 35 years, has covered poor single adults who make less than $8,123 per year. In June 2009, Governor Pawlenty used his line item veto power to eliminate funding for the program and GAMC is now set to expire on April 1, 2010.As a result of these cuts, the more than 35,000 Minnesotans who rely on GAMC to afford medicine and doctor visits will either be transitioned to MinnesotaCare, a program with higher premiums and copayments that is expected to run out of money within the next year, or they will slip through the cracks and go without any coverage at all. As a result, many of the most vulnerable Minnesotans will find themselves faced with life or death decisions about their health on April 1, 2010, when GAMC funding runs out.

This issue is as real as it is painful for those experiencing it first hand, and as Mac students and residents of Minnesota, we are in a unique position to make a difference. With the 2010 legislative session starting on Feb. 4, now is a critical time to tell legislators that Minnesota’s poorest and most vulnerable adults need to have access to essential medical care. Join MPIRG in the fight to restore and reform GAMC this semester.

On Feb 4, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., there will be a Save GAMC Rally at the capitol. This rally, on the first day of the 2010 legislative session, will show Minnesota legislators that we will not allow them to sacrifice the health of thousands for the sake of the fiscal budget. Your physical presence at the rally can make a huge difference in whether 35,000 low-income Minnesotans receive healthcare. When lawmakers see a mass of constituents rallying around an important cause, they take notice, and they act.

MPIRG will be organizing trips on the buses #84 North and #94 East to the capital, one leaving at 10:45am and 11:18am. If you are interested in attending, email [email protected] with the subject “GAMC Rally.” Come effect the change you want to see on February 4th.

Sarah Mintz ’12- MPIRG Low-Income Advocacy Task Force Leader ([email protected])

Mason Wells ’12- MPIRG Low-Income Advocacy Task Force Leader ([email protected])

Skyler Larrimore ’12- MPIRG Co-Chair ([email protected])