News Briefs

New York Times columnist to speak on campus David Carr, a media columnist and culture reporter for The New York Times, will speak at Macalester next Thursday, Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. in the John B. Davis Lecture Hall.

Carr’s talk is titled “From Iraq to Katrina: Have the Media Gotten Tougher?” He has spent the last 25 years covering media issues including print, digital, film, radio and television.

Prior to starting at The New York Times, Carr wrote for The Atlantic Monthly and was the editor of The Twin Cities Reader, a Minneapolis-based alternative weekly.

Carr’s talk is sponsored by The New York Times and is part of Macalester’s bulk subscription to the paper that began last year.

CSO to sponsor J-term hurricane relief trip

The Community Service Office is coordinating a trip to the Gulf Coast area for Jan. 12-21 to help with disaster relief efforts.

The trip is open to students, faculty, staff and alumni. The group will work with Presbytarian Disaster Assistance, an organization that provides relief and development work after national and international disasters, according to its web site. Although the organization is faith-based, the Macalester trip does not have a required spiritual component.

For more information, visit http://www.macalester.edu/cso/ or e-mail [email protected] to indicate your interest by Nov. 5.

Nominate a senior for the Internationalism Award

The Internationalism Award is presented annually to a graduating senior who best demonstrates academic merit and a commitment to promoting international understanding and cooperation. Nominations will be accepted until Nov. 5.

To make a nomination, e-mail the name of the nominee to Aaron Colhapp at [email protected] by tomorrow, Nov. 5. Letters of recommendation and applications from nominated students will be accepted until Dec. 1.

Briefs by News Editor Shannon Mills