Mac Mock Trial goes to nationals

The Macalester Mock Trial team cinched its slot to the National Championship Mar. 25-26 at the Ramsey County Courthouse in St. Paul. With a combined record of 6-1-1, the Scots took second place at the St. Paul National Qualifier to advance to the National Championship Tournament. This is the first time Macalester has earned a spot at the National Championship in three years. The win comes off a first place finish at the regional competition in Superior, WI. Captained by Cali Cope-Kasten ’11, Mock Trial hopes to continue the winning streak next weekend at the National Championship Tournament held in Des Moines, IA. The case involves a child who ingested a jewelry set and allegedly died from it. Six hundred teams started the season, but only 48 qualified for nationals. Also competing on the nationals team: Samantha Shapiro ’11 Samantha Gupta ’12, Nathanael Smith ’12, Josh Rubin ’12, IndiAna Gowland ’13, Malcolm Kane ’13, Julia Egan ’13, Steve Larson ’13, and Nathan Scheiner ’13. Rubin was even named an “Outstanding Witness” from a previous tournament.