Lendway, Swanson lead the way for swim teams

The Macalester men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams earned fourth place finishes at the St. Mary’s Invitational in Winona last Saturday. More impressive than the overall showing, however, were the key individual swims by both veterans and a talented first year class. On the women’s side, Heather Lendway ’06 led the way for Macalester by swimming to three first-place finishes–the 1650-yard freestyle, 500 free and 400 I.M.

In addition she managed to break meet and pool records in five events.

Lendway, a distance specialist, astounded the natatorium in her 1650-yard freestyle by setting three meet and pool records in a single race. In her first 500 yards she shattered the record, came through the 1,000 in record time and concluded her race in the same fashion.

Coach Bob Pearson commented that she even beat all the men racing that distance as well. Clocking in at 17:54.98, Lendway was indeed two seconds ahead of the top man, and a striking 46 seconds ahead of her closest competition.

George Robbins ’07 added, “Heather’s true talent is never getting tired. I wonder if perhaps she’d be good at cross country.”

Other notable first place performances on the women’s side included Alex Cortes ’09 in the 100-yard backstroke, and Elena Bulat ’07 in the 200-yard breastroke. In addition, the Scots received three second-place finishes–Cortes in the 50 and 100 freestyle, and the 200-yard freestyle relay team.

Katherine Kelly ’08 helped the team out with third-place finishes in the 100 and 200-yard butterfly. Other contributors included Katherine Foley ’07 with a fourth place finish in the 1650-yard free and Angie Marvin ’09 taking fifth in the 200-yard freestyle.

Likewise, the men’s team faired well against tough competition. Pearson commented that Sjon Swanson ’06 turned in numerous mid-season personal bests. Swanson ended up getting second in the 200-yard breastroke, third in the 200 free, and fifth in the 50 free. Jared Rudolph ’08 also boosted his team by getting third place in the 100 and 200-yard backstroke.

The Scots posted a solid second place finish in the 200-yard medley relay team of Rudolph, Swanson, Ramiro Nandez-Acosta ’08, and Robbins.

Currently, the teams are taking a month-long pause from competition. However, this in no way means that these men and women will become lazy in the pool. In fact training will step up to four or five hours a day throughout most of January in preparation for the J-term training trip to Maui, Hawaii.

The women’s team is also looking forward to the return of athletes Jackie DeLuca ’07, Nancy Taff ’07 and Alanna Mozena ’07, currently studying abroad, to keep the momentum they have already established going well into the season.