IGC student council to offer students 'live it' grants

By April Dejarlais

The Institute for Global Citizenship Student Council hit the ground running this semester with the debut of a project in the making since fall 2009. In response to campus-wide confusion over the meaning of global citizenship, the “Live It: The IGC Student Council Fund” will “enable student initiatives that enact social change by living out varied definitions of global citizenship,” as stated in a document released by the IGCSC Friday. Students will be challenged to “provide the campus with living definitions of global citizenship” through summer projects which will compete for project funds ranging from $500 to $10,000.

The Live It Fund is open to freshmen through juniors, and may be proposed individually or with a group. Applications and information will be available to students beginning today on the IGCSC’s website. The deadline for applicants is Monday, March 1.

The Student Council will hold an open house for interested students from 5 – 7 p.m. Feb. 10 in the third-floor conference room of Markim Hall.

Another upcoming IGCSC event is the Sandwiches and Scholarship program, where Macalester students of all majors will be able to present research in front of peers within a casual setting (lunch being provided by the IGCSC). The first event will be from 11:30 – 1 p.m. on Feb. 11 at Davis Court in Markim Hall, and all students are welcome.

APRIL DEJARLAIS