Homemade Pizza a Don't in the Dorms

By Elias Tezapsidis

Homemade Pizza Company is the new addition to our Grand Avenue student menu. Do not let the name trick you, they mean it quite literally; the “restaurant” provides fresh, unbaked pizza to take home and cook.Homemade Pizza is a strong proponent of using all-natural, mostly organic ingredients, the best available. You can taste the difference, and that is something that the company takes pride in, along with their support of local farmers and producers. The simplicity of it all is what makes Homemade Pizza unique, a true classic, but pricey.

There are a large variety of ingredients to choose from and many diverse ways to combine them. The healthy, light choices, along with the option to create your own pizza, bring you a step closer to food paradise. Personally, I enjoyed the Prosciutto and Fontinella cheese. Naturally, the pizza company also offers standard combinations of ingredients for those of you who prefer a more classic pizza.

The spinach salad was excellent, with dried cranberries, spinach leaves, red onion, authentic Feta cheese (according to my high Greek standards), and pine nuts. All of the salads looked flavorful, and Homemade seemed to be everything it aspired to. But is that enough for a Macalester student with no time to spare?

“We make it, you bake it” is the company’s motto, but I do not think I want to bake my own pizza. For fifteen dollars plus, they better bake it. Time is money, but the expression applies to me, the poor, busy, hungry student. The aroma of the home baked pizza is fun, but I don’t even have decent access to an oven. I love the all-natural pie, but I don’t want to be the unfortunate person on my floor that bakes goods and makes fellow students rush into the kitchen only to find out there is nothing to share. “It’s MY organic goodness!” I will have to yell at those poor kids as they reach to grab a slice on their way to Café Mac.

Homemade Pizza Company has a great ideology, as well as great materials and savory pizzas. However, college students are certainly not the appropriate clientele, unless you have heard of a new breed that’s willing to spend half of their dining experience on preparing a ready meal. I guarantee I am not spoiled; I simply miss Domino’s

Homemade Pizza Company
1700 Grand Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105
651-690-7676