History department promotes 'community building'

By Hunter Bradley, Sarah Krumholz

Peeps, timers and dice are the newest outreach tools in the history department. They are part of a campaign to help educate and encourage the student body to participate in their on-campus activities.A revival of an older program, the department launched a new History Club this semester that aims to promote “community building and socializing outside of the classroom for history majors,” History Club member Cecily Castle ’10 said. But Castle, a history major, made it clear that non-majors were welcome to come.

She said many of the activities planned for the club this year are designed “to get students interested in history together in a fun and relaxed setting outside of the classroom.”

This year, the history department and club will be hosting a trivia contest, a history salon, a historical game night and the second annual Peeps diorama contest, history department coordinator Herta Pitman said.

Pitman, who has served as coordinator for the history and classics departments for 10 years, spoke in detail about the plans for several of these events.

The history salon will be hosted by the History Club on Thursdays throughout the year. The salon is inspired by the salons of the late 20th century, and aims to bring together students and experts students and experts to discuss a particular subject.

The first salon on Oct. 22 focused upon the subject of colonialism in Russia and Central Asia. Matt Thrasher ’10 and Professor Peter Weisensel both gave presentations. There was time afterward for discussion.

At press time, no one could be contacted about the event. Pitman said students should investigate the Macalester College History Department Facebook page for further information on future salons.

Also on the schedule is the Peeps diorama contest. Started last year as a lighthearted competition between the Classics and History departments, participants create historically or classically themed dioramas that employ marshmallow Peeps.

Approximately 15 dioramas were entered last spring. This year, all students are welcome and encouraged to enter a diorama. Entries are due immediately following Spring Break and must include at least one Peep. Notable entries from last year portrayed events as varied as the Biblical parting of the Red Sea to the French Revolution.