Good Omens

By Tatiana Craine

It’s the end of the world and a Freddie-Mercury loving demon and an effeminate angel have the world in their hands. The four horsemen of the apocalypse aren’t all actually men, and the Antichrist is really just a precocious, preteen boy named Adam. The fate of the world depends on all of them, some willing for Judgment Day and others hoping for a few more years before the rapture.Despite how ridiculous it all sounds, “Good Omens” by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is incredible. The novel deceives by appearing like a hilarious romp to save the world, but the intricacies of all the plots strung together make for an amazing read. With a cast of characters ranging from the Antichrist to Beelzebub, from Famine to Pollution, from the chattering nuns of St. Beryl to Agnes Nutter, the witch whose prophecies all come true.

“Good Omens” is a cult classic among sci-fi and fantasy readers, Neil Gaiman fanatics, Terry Pratchett followers, and a great many others. The book might be a little blasphemous, but it never takes itself too seriously; Gaiman and Pratchett have frequent footnotes packed with comic asides. “Good Omens” is immediately accessible and easy to breeze through, especially on a plane or at a beach. And don’t be alarmed if you find yourself constantly laughing out loud, it’s meant to be that way.