Fun in the Minnesota Sun

By Sarah Krumholz

As Macalester students, warm temperatures are almost a foreign concept. So when they finally come, students are often at a loss of what to do. Sure, we can chill on the lawn, play some Frisbee, or ride our bikes. But what else is there? If you’re willing to venture beyond the Mac bubble, plenty.1. CHILL AT THE LAKES. Minnesota has them. Check out the “Chain of Lakes”-a chain that contains no less than five lakes (Brownie Lake, Cedar Lake, Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet). There are plenty of picnic spots around the lakes, as well as a 13.3 mile biking and jogging path that encircles the lakes. While it’s certainly easier and faster to go by car (Google puts it at 16 minutes), you can also get there by bike (a ride that Google clocks at a respectable 53 minutes), or via public transportation (an hour ride-just take the 84 to Snelling Avenue and St Anthony Avenue and then switch to the 21, getting off at the Uptown Station, with a short walk down Lagoon Avenue to the lakes). Plus, when you’re done having a relaxing Saturday afternoon at the Lakes, you can spend the evening running around Uptown.

2. RIDE ON A STREETCAR. While you’re at the lakes, hop on the Como-Harriet Streetcar Line. Rides start May 1 and are available Saturdays and Sundays from 12:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. A single-ride ticket costs only $2 and gives you a scenic view between Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet. Go to www.trolleyride.org for more information. If you’ll be here for the summer, you can even apply for a job as a Streetcar Operator (training program included).
3. GO TO A BASEBALL GAME. Go to Target Field for a Twins game. It’s warm, it’s fun, you can see the pretty sky. Exciting.
4. MINNEAPOLIS SCULPTURE GARDEN. Full of silly sculptures and pretty flowers. Wander around outside, and if you get tired of that, head inside the Cowels Conservatory to look at some more pretty plant life. Good spot for chilling with friends, playing silly games and eating a yummy picnic.
5. GO ON A SEGWAY TOUR. That’s right: for a limited time, you too can look like a silly person, touring along the Mississippi River in a line of Segways. Perfect for that lazy warm Saturday afternoon. Tours are available seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. At $80 plus tax, tickets aren’t cheap. However, with your ticket, you get certified Segway training, a more than five-mile historical tour, entrance ticket to the Mill City Museum and refreshments. Go to humanonastick.com for more info.
6. CINCO DE MAYO. Contrary to what you might think, the St. Paul Cinco de Mayo Fiesta doesn’t occur on May 5, but instead on May 7, 8 and 9. With its parade, a low-rider car show, a salsa-tasting competition and plenty of musical performances and good food, Cinco de Mayo shouldn’t be missed. Go to districtdelsol.com/cincodemayo for more info.

7. FESTIVAL OF NATIONS. On April 29 and 30 and May 1 and 2 head over to the St. Paul River Centre for great food, music and dance. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. The festival is a celebration of world cultures and includes handicrafts and food from around the world. Go to festivalofnations.com for more info.