Favre returns to Lambeau, leaps past Packers

By Pat Murphy

All eyes were on Brett Farve during last Sunday’s Vikings vs. Packers game in Green Bay Wisconsin. On the previous 49 occasions Favre played at Lambeau Field, the stadium reverberated with cheers when Favre took the field. But on Sunday, any cheers were drowned out by a shower of boos.In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past three months, Brett Favre is now the quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings. Favre had originally retired as a Packer after the 2007-08 season, but later changed his mind and played the season with the New York Jets before retiring for a second time. Rumors constantly swirled about yet another return, but Favre and his entourage said that he was done for good this time. Wrong. On Aug. 18, it was announced that Favre had signed with the Minnesota Vikings and un-retired for the second time.

To put it into more universal terms, Favre becoming a Viking would be the equivalent of Obama becoming a Republican or Justin Timberlake joining the Backstreet Boys. Within days of the announcement, mass Favre memorabilia burnings were held in Wisconsin. Across the border, the reaction was a bit different. Favre was shuttled from the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport to Vikings headquarters in Eden Prairie in a caravan of black SUV’s. Droves of people lined the streets trying to catch a glimpse of the legend.

In his 18 plus seasons in the NFL, Favre has become the most prolific passer in the 89-year history of the league. His NFL records include: most passes completed (5894), most touchdowns thrown (480), most passing yards (67,052), and most consecutive starts for a quarterback (277). Favre has been selected to 10 Pro Bowls, has been named league MVP on three occasions, and led the Packers to a Super Bowl in 1997. He was a hero in the state of Wisconsin. Brett Favre was a god. Two years later he’s public enemy number one.

Coming into this season, many had their doubts about whether or not the 40-year old Favre still had any magic left. Coming off of a disappointing finish to the 2008-09 with the Jets, in which he had played the end of the season with a torn biceps tendon in his throwing arm, it had to be asked whether his body could hold up. Favre didn’t pay the doubters any notice, and he has been one of the league’s top quarterbacks through week eight. He is tied for the league lead in touchdowns (16), and has led the Vikings to a 7-1 record.

A sports fan couldn’t ask for better drama than Favre coming back to Lambeau Field to play for the rival Vikings. NFL fans had the game circled on their calendars since Favre signed in mid-August. The game was watched by an average of 29.8 million viewers compared to the average of 22.3 million viewers who tuned in for game 4 of the World Series later Sunday night. When it was all said and done, Favre did the same thing that he has always done at Lambeau Field-win