Dupre students petition for better wireless connection

By Jens Tamang

For the past four weeks, the Dupre Hall Council has been petitioning for better wireless in their dormitory building. “It works in the lounges but not in most of the rooms,” Josh Tomashek, a Dupre resident said. “I have an Ethernet cord so it’s not a big deal, but [my roommate] doesn’t.

“He always has to go to the lounge when he wants to use his Internet. It’s kind of annoying.”

The problem with Dupre wireless is its “inconsistency,” Co-Chair of the DHC Igor Stanceric said. “We would like to get fast and constant wireless for the entire building in any [part] of the building.”

Associate Director of Information Technology Services David Sisk said that the main reason for the intermittent Internet is because Dupre is simply a hard building to work with.

“The building design is a factor with wireless access,” Sisk said, “and in Dupre-with lots of small rooms divided by concrete, steel and cinderblock-radio signals are not going to travel as far as they do in open areas such as the Library and Campus Center.”

After numerous residents complained about the quality of the wireless in their dorm, the DHC decided to take action. They drafted a petition to Res. Life and ITS requesting more wireless routers throughout the building to stabilize and strengthen the wireless connection throughout the building.

The Dupre Hall Council “decided to take on the issue because they believed that it impacted the quality of life for students,” Dupre’s Residence Hall Director Ryan Prosser said. “The work they take on is organic to the student members, I simply support them in their programming and community improvement efforts.”

Emma Kaplan ’12, one of the petition organizers, said that the petition has been received well by residents so far.

“Of the people we’ve talked to, virtually 100 percent have signed the petition,” Kaplan said.

The wireless Internet issues are not just a Dupre problem, according to Stanceric. He said that since the DHC began the petitioning process, residents in several other dorms have expressed similar complaints.