Defense key in Scot's victory at the Metrodome

By Patrick Murphy

On Halloween, the football team played against the University of Minnesota Morris at the Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis. At a capacity over 64,000, the Metrodome is home to the Minnesota Vikings, the Twins and the U of M Twin Cities football team. The visit to the Dome was a highlight for many of the players, but the Scots weren’t looking to do any sightseeing. Instead, they opted to get down to business against Minnesota Morris.With their 25-0 shutout of Morris, the Scots improved their standings to 4-5 this season. The Scots defense smothered Morris, allowing a miniscule 94 yards of total offense and forcing nine punts. The defense was led by Brian Foster ’11, who racked up 12 tackles and a quarterback hurry that is likely still giving the Morris QB nightmares and neck pain. Linebacker Josh Boomgarden ’10 made eight stops, and Ed Fitzpatrick ’09 was in on seven stops.

Offensively, the Scots ran wild. Running-back T. Joe “Lightning’ Loiselle” 12 ran for 117 yards, quarterback Trevor Miehe ’11 ran for 79 yards, and running-back Adam “Thunder” Gyrion ’11 ran for 55 yards and a pair of scores. The Scots got the scoring started during the second quarter with an impressive 41-yard field goal by Nate Juergens ’11. Later in the quarter, Miehe connected with Jon Elliot ’11 for a 33-yard touchdown.

When asked what made the Scots so effective against Morris, Head Coach Tony Jennison credited a “great week of practice” leading up to the game, and said that “our guys kept playing very hard during the game. There was no let up, and that was the key.”

The Scots head to Hamline this Saturday to finish the season against a Hamline team that fell to Carleton by a single point last week, and stayed within a field goal of St. Thomas earlier in the season. Jennison said that he is expecting a tough and physical game.

“They are a well-coached team that plays hard, it will be a big challenge for our team,” Jennison said.

A win against Hamline would give the Scots their second highest win total since 1987, not to mention that a MIAC victory would be a big step in the right direction heading into the offseason.