Crime in Choir- Trumpery Metier reviewed

By Contributor

The songs on Crime in Choir’s second full-length album echo the sonic range and grandeur that has been missing from the music scene since Pink Floyd turned sour. Symphonic swells of epic proportions ebb in and out, and indeed the opening track, “Women of Reduction” could serve as a “Shine on You Crazy Diamond Pt. 3” with guitar work drenched in reverb and spacey delay.
But around this sonic landscape Crime in Choir constantly shifts, its songs progressing through innumerable realms of musical style. “Complete Upsmanship” juxtaposes a twisted, futuristic keyboard timbre with a bouncing, ragtime-style piano. “Land of Sherry Wine and Spanish Horses” builds like an opera gone haywire and then explodes with blazing guitar and saxophone solos. “Trumpery Metier” constantly shifts timing while also changing keys in half-steps. And in keeping with this progressive spirit, “Measure of a Master,” which begins in the least conventional manner with ambient, pulsating tones, segues into the most accessible jam on the album.
The musicianship throughout constantly impresses and surprises. There are triumphant horn sections recalling Morricone scores and bass work reminiscent of Chris Squire (and a groaning mastodon) at his most fuzzy. The drumming is likewise incredible. However the band will occasionally break into synth-parties, adding a lighter, Euro-dance feel to the otherwise ominous movements. And this deliberate undermining of musical integrity may reflect the band’s attitude towards their own music; they never tour and named their album “Worthless Profession”. While not easily penetrable, upon multiple listenings Trumpery Metier presents a soundscape rich with chaos and color.