Basement Lair:10K

By Sarah Krumholz

Digging for gold on campus? You’ll find 10K worth of entertainment treasure buried beneath Dupre in 10K, a basement offering a veritable cornucopia of events throughout the semester.
To get to 10K, simply trudge over to Dupre, head down the stairs and turn right. A dimly lit but enticing chamber awaits.

Affectionately dubbed “a real charming little basement” by Corbin Cavallero ’11, this humble cellar dwelling has housed events for a number of student orgs here on campus.

KAADATT, which stands for “kids all about dancing all the time,” throws dance parties in 10K throughout the semester.
The club originated several years ago, but the students who started it transferred to Boston University. It was then led by Cavallero and Ben Holt for two years. Now John Randolph, Christina Croll, and Jack Robbins run the group.
While Cavallero describes the sound booth as “pretty ancient” and “littered with half-working or straight-up broken decks and speakers,” KAADATT dances generally stick to using students’ personal speakers, he maintains that “10K is one of [his] favorite places on campus.”

On April 3rd, the Macalester College National Poetry Slam team held a slam in 10K. Students from Macalester and other colleges in the twin cities area performed. National Poetry Slam Champion and local poet Mike Mlekoday also performed.
In March, 10K also housed a competition between the Mac Slam team and the University of Minnesota team as a fundraiser for the College National Poetry Slam competition in Boston.

Comedy also finds its way into this underground den. On April 1st, Bad Comedy performed their show “Jesus is Dead. . . April Fools!” which involved British accents and clever jokes. Fresh Concepts performed a show last Friday and Saturday titled, “A Wrinkle In Rhyme.”

Interested in carrying on the tradition of comedy, dancing, and theater in 10K? Plan an event and contact the reservations desk at [email protected].

Interested in upholding the tradition of comedy, dance, and poetry in 10K? Plan an event and contact reservations via e-mail at [email protected]. Check the Daily Piper or events calendar for a schedule of fun 10K activities.