Baseball returns from Arizona, looks toward conference

By Chalie Stanton

While many Macalester students relaxed over spring break, the baseball team trekked to Arizona for a ten-game baseball bonanza. They played ten games in a week’s time, including three doubleheaders. They were on the wrong side of two one-run games. One highlight was a blowout win against Wesleyan University 15-4. The bats are hot early in the season. The Scots scored 60 runs in ten games. Graham Brown ’12, Robert Williams ’12 and Nick Mar ’15 led the offensive charge. Mar is a first year transfer who started his collegiate baseball career at Division I UC-Santa Barbara. The team is rife with talented freshmen, but the six seniors remain the anchors. The pitching is still a work in progress. That being said, Nathan Kelleher-Crew ’14 pitched a strong eight innings against Wesleyan and Justin Kleschen ’15 pitched an arm-killing ten innings against Springfield in an extra inning loss. Nick Meerson ’12 was the ace of the trip and pitched two strong games in wins against Coe and Wisconsin-Stout. After two more Metrodome games today and Mar. 26, the Scots start their conference schedule with a home game against St. Olaf on Mar. 31. St. Thomas is the early conference favorite, but the Scots aren’t planning on making it easy on anyone. refresh –>