Arts Events

Friday, November 4th: Dance:

–The internationally-acclaimed Merce Cunningham Dance Company presents Split Sides , Native Green, and Suite for Five at the Northrop Auditorium (84 SE Church Street) in Minneapolis. “Possibilities in dance are bound only by our imagination and our two legs,” Cunningham proclaims. For tickets and more information, call 612.624.2345. The performance begins at 8 p.m. Tickets are $30-$49.

Music:

–Make your way over to the Artists’ Quarter in Saint Paul this Friday or Saturday night to hear Anthony Cox, an artist with “impeccable chops, boundless creativity, savvy versatility and a wellspring of energy.” Anthony Cox is performing with Shovel (Brent Sandy on trumpet, Dean Magraw on guitar and J.T. Bates on drums). 7th Place and St. Peter Street, Saint Paul (located in the Hamm Building). 651.292.1359. The show begins at 9 p.m. with a $10 cover.

–Veteran singer-songwriter Dwight Yoakam (who once infamously covered Queen’s 1980 No. 1 hit “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” in a Gap commercial) performs on Friday at Myth Nightclub in Maplewood with the Killer Hayseeds. 3090 Southlawn Drive. 651.779.6984. Tickets for the show, which begins at 5 p.m., are $28.50. This is an 18+ performance.

Event:

–This Friday, November 4th until Thursday, November 10th celebrate Citypages’ fifth year of its documentary film festival at the Lagoon Cinema. On Friday evening, you can attend two (anti)war movies: Why We Fight and Sir! No Sir! then head over to Caf Barbette (600 W. Lake Street , Minneapolis; 612.827.5710) for live music, free appetizers, drink specials and an evening with the filmmakers. For specific dates and times go to http://www.citypages.com/getreal/2005/dates.asp. Festival passes can be purchased at the Lagoon box office, 1320 Lagoon Ave., Minneapolis. 612.825.6006.

Saturday, November 5th:

–Visual Arts:

– Visit the Walker Art Museum today, which is free on the first Saturday of every month from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free tours of their current exhibition, House of Oracles, will be begin at noon and 2 p.m. 1750 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis. 612.375.7600.

Music:

–This Saturday night, the Dinkytowner Caf presents a “double release” party hosted by local rapper Truth Maze to celebrate new work by producer and DJ Cheap Cologne and rapper Capaciti. The evening will be filled with local hip-hope talent, including Project 13, Carnage, Desdamona, Kanser, Unknown Prophets, Golden, Out of Bounds, Dessa, Plain Ole Bill, Jimmy2Times and other special guests. 412 ? 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis. 612.362.0437. This 18+ performance begins at 9 p.m. Tickets are $6.

Sunday, November 6th:

Event:

–This Friday, Saturday and Sunday marks the 8th year of Art Attack at the Northrup King Building in Minneapolis . For this event, over 125 of the area’s most prominent and dedicated local artists will display their work in this large space that houses four city blocks of studios under one roof. At some point over the weekend, go to Art Attack to get a feel for the local arts scene – you can purchase works if you like (holiday gifts, anyone?) or simply enjoy the demonstrations, food and live local music. The Northrup King Building, 1500 Jackson Street. NE, Minneapolis. For more information call 763.421.3500. Open Friday from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m., Saturday from 12 to 5p.m. and Sunday from 12 to 4 p.m.

Music:

–Jeff Tweedy of Wilco performs at First Avenue at 8 p.m. on Sunday. Glenn Kotche (Wilco’s dummer) opens. This should be a great show, if you can manage to snag a ticket! 701 1st Ave N, Minneapolis. 612.332.1775. This is a 21+ event. Tickets are $23.

Monday, November 7th:

Theater:

–This Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights at 7:30 p.m. catch “Patriot Acts,” the third piece in Pangea World Theater’s “Bridges” program. Spoken word, hip-hop, video and performance are used to highlight various opinions surrounding the War on Terror. The performances take place at the Varsity Theater ( 1308 4th St SE, Minneapolis; 612.604.0222). Tickets are $10 for students.

Tuesday, November 8th:

Reading:

–At 5:30 p.m., head over to Kieran’s Irish Pub ( 330 2nd Avenue South) in Minneapolis for an informal book discussion and relaxing happy hour. Raking Through Books, the Loft Literary Center’s happy hour book club, will present Faith Sullivan discussing her latest work , Gardenias. Free refreshments will be served. Cosponsored by the Loft, Rake magazine, Peace Coffee, Kieran’s Irish Pub & University of Minnesota Bookstores. Free admission.

Music:

–This Tuesday, the innovative California-based group ALO (Animal Liberation Orchestra) performs with Enchanted Ape at the Fine Line Music Caf in Minneapolis. “For us, ALO is more than just a band and we’re more than just a group of great friends making music together… ALO is our lifestyle,” says keyboardist and vocalist Zach Gills of the group. 318 1st Avenue N, Minneapolis. 612-338-8100. This is an 18+ event. Doors open at 8 p.m., the show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are $11.50.

Wednesday, November 9th:

Music:

–Mugison, the one-man band, performs at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis. 400 Cedar Avenue S, Minneapolis. 612.332.2903 . Show starts at 8 p.m. This is a 21+ event. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door.

Theater:

–This Wednesday through Sunday, the legendary experimental theater company Mabou Mines performs DollHouse at the Walker Art Center. The New York Times calls the whole experience “so fascinating – thrilling here, confounding there – that it must be seen.” 1750 Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis. 612.375.7600.Performance begins at 8 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and also at 2 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets are $25 on Wednesday ($13 for Walker members), $25 ($20 Walker members) on Thursday and the Saturday and Sunday matinees and $32 ($26 Walker members) on Friday and Saturday evenings.

Thursday, November 10th:

Music:

–If you couldn’t make it to the Artists’ Quarter over the weekend (or even if you could), check out the Phil Hey Quartet as they celebrate the release of their new CD Subduction: Live at the Artists’ Quarter. 7th Place and St. Peter Street, Saint Paul (located in the Hamm Building). 651.292.1359. Show begins at 9 p.m. with a $3 cover.

Reading:

–If you’ve been to The Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis, you know that the performance space is impressive and that the Loft brings top-notch figures to read and perform. If you haven’t been to the Loft, you should go this Thursday to the publication reading of Silence of the Loons, an anthology of Minnesota mystery writers featuring M.D. Lake, Monica Ferris , Mary Logue, Pat Dennis, K. J. Erickson, Judith Guest , David Housewright, Lori Lake, Carl Brookins, Deborah Woodworth, Kerri Miller, Williams Kent Krueger & Ellen Hart with an introduction by R. D. Zimmerman. Open Book, 1011 Washington Avenue South, Minneapolis. 612.215.2575. Reading begins at 7 p.m. Free.

Event:

–Didn’t make it to the opening party for Citypages’ documentary film festival? Then go to the closing party! The 30-film festival concludes with a screening (and Midwest premiere of) the Oscar frontrunner After Innocence. Following the screening, head over to The Independent ( Calhoun Square , 3001 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis; 612.378.1905 ) for live music, free appetizers and drink specials in the company of “a very special guest.” Festival passes can be purchased at the Lagoon box office, 1320 Lagoon Ave., Minneapolis. 612.825.6006 .

Compiled by Christina Houghton. Graphics by Danielle Boucher. Email Christina at [email protected].