An open letter of thanks to President Rosenberg

By Contributor

Dear President Rosenberg,During your short tenure at Macalester, you have overseen an unprecedented institutional move towards preserving the spirit and tradition of Macalester. You have routinely shown a dedication to the college’s values and commitment to the continued improvement of the college.

When it no longer became realistic to continue the college’s policy of needs-blind admission for domestic first-year students, you and the board of trustees made the fiscally responsible decision to become need-aware on the margins. While we believe that need-blind is the ideal, we recognize the necessity of this move for future generations of students seeking an affordable education.

Thank you.

When students demanded that you honor this community’s concern for worker’s rights, internationalism, and environmentalism by banning Coke products, you again made the correct decision in respecting students right to choose for themselves what companies they do and do not support, and left it to the students to make their own decisions instead of forcing the opinions of the few onto the many.

Thank you.

A year after proclaiming a financial crisis and abolishing the need-blind financial aid policy, you have raised money outside of admissions and advocated for a new health and wellness center to replace the 100 year old current gym with a new green facility, and plan to renovate the Janet Wallace Fine Arts Center after the new gym is done.

Thank you.

We appreciate your continued commitment to the future of this college through your demonstration of fiscal responsibility, respect of the students right to choose, and promoting continued excellence in our students as well as our facilities. Your plans for this college continue to support the values of the Macalester community. We hope that you will stay with the college and continue the legacy of commitment to the community.

Signed,

Michael Abatemarco
Liz Scholz
Lauren Ackerman
Catie Skluzacek
Peter Lam
James Mallek
Helen Thomas
Liz Larson
Amia Jackson
Ben Rabe
Eric Jones
Dennis Olsen
Nora Catolico
Hideyoshi Coryne
Erin Lowrey
Mina Shahin
Lelde Ilzina
Matt Day
Daniel Portilla
Karla Leon
Arthur Sillah
Jen Agans
Erin Cusac
Brad Johnson
Jeremy Velasquez
Jack Carmichael
Maxwell Cady
Aubrey Grossarth
Katey Dolezal
Michael Cochran
Dan Herrera
Todd Copenhaver
Tina Baum
Catherine Bonesho
Laura Hittle
Dakota Ryan
Kaia Arthur
Westenly Alcenat
Zane Smith
Jeff Dobbins
Elise Goldin
Emily Hamilton
Kim Delanghe
Ashley Butcher
Aaron Brown
Owen Rudloff
Annika Johnson
Natalia Espejo
Rachel Miller