All Around the Liberal Arts

By Clara McConnell

Former Miami University Administrator Assaults Reality TV StarA former Miami University administrator was issued a summons Monday to appear in court on a charge of aggravated menacing, for allegedly pulling a gun on a reality TV star in Oxford, Ohio Wednesday morning.

According to police reports, John DeVenanzio of MTV’s The Real World: Key West was in a car driven by a his girlfriend, a Miami student when the former administrator started following them in a Cadillac. After about a mile DeVenanzio and his girlfriend pulled over, as did the driver of the Cadillac. The TV star approached the car, and the driver reached into his glove compartment, pulling out a small Derringer gun. DeVenanzio and his girlfriend then proceeded to call 911. The MTV star told the Miami Student that he did not feel his life was in danger, and will not be pressing charges.

Cornell Fraternity Holds Water Pong Tournament to Increase Alcohol Awareness

The Lambda Phi Epsilon fraternity held a water pong tournament, in the manner of beer pong, the popular party game, last weekend. According to the Cornell Sun, three of the fraternity’s new members came up with the idea to hold the tournament in order to break down the stereotype that Greeks are only interested in partying, as well as to improve awareness among all students about the dangers of drinking. Winners of the tournament received $50 gift certificates to Best Buy, in addition to priceless knowledge about the perils of binge drinking.

Vassar Student Health Center Offers New Cervical Cancer Vaccine

During the last week of September, the Women’s Health Center at Vassar College began offering Gardasil, a vaccine that guards against cervical cancer and genital warts caused by human papillomavirus (HPV), the most common sexually transmitted disease. According to the Vassar College Miscellany, on Tuesday, Oct. 3, officials from the health center held a talk to inform people about the vaccine, as well as about various methods of birth control, including Plan B, the recently-approved over-the-counter emergency contraceptive. Gardasil, approved by the FDA this summer, protects against four strains of HPV that cause 90 percent of genital warts and 70 percent of cervical cancers.