All Around the Liberal Arts

By Sara Nelson

University of Chicago
For those concerned about ways to finance the ever-increasing cost of higher education, Jeopardy is now an option.

Ray Sun, a fourth-year student and member of Chicago’s college bowl team, won over $30,000 on Jeopardy last week, the Chicago Maroon reported Tuesday.

Sun placed first his first day on the show after correctly answering that the French Revolution was the event that kicked off the “long 19th century.” Wagering too heavily as returning champion, he lost his title after failing to name Nicosia, Cyprus as “the last divided capital in Europe.”
Sun attributes his superior trivia knowledge to having attended the University of Chicago. “If there is a college, where, just by being there [it] makes you better at Jeopardy, it’s Chicago,” he told the Maroon.

Williams College
Flying sparks from torches ignited a fire that resulted in $20,000 worth of damages to the college’s new student center, the Williams Record reported last week.

The Record reported that the fire started on the ground level of the building when construction workers were cutting steel for a wall. The flames spread upward 15-20 feet and burned a considerable amount of material. The flames were extinguished within half an hour, which helped reduce the amount of damage.

The building, which is currently under construction, is scheduled for completion in January 2007. College officials said that the fire caused no injuries and will not delay construction.

Hendrix College
An unexpected number of non-student attendees at Hendrix College’s Foam Party has prompted students to question the Arkansas school’s policy on guest attendance at school-sponsored events, the Hendrix Profile reported last week.

“We don’t want a lot of sketchy people intimidating us and keeping us from coming into our own dance,” student government president Russ Montgomery said.

Many students were intimidated by the number of outsiders and said that by the end of the event nearly half of the attendees were from outside of Hendrix.

“It was not our intent to have so many non-Hendrix people who weren’t friends with students here,” student Valarie Kimbrough told the Profile. “Our security got flooded with all the people who had somehow gotten wristbands. People who weren’t invited had somehow gotten in.”