Events: Twin Cities area

MUSIC//

Gravel Road Touring Showcase featuring Chastity Brown, Actual Wolf and Barbara Jean

$12-15 at Cedar Cultural Center, Friday, April 5, 8p

Gravel Road Touring is a Minneapolis booking collective that represents artists Chastity Brown, Actual Wolf, and Barbara Jean. The group has evolved from being The Pines booking agency to a cooperative, artist-run agency representing indie acts. This cooperative believes live music is essential for human-to-human connection in our digital age. Friday’s show focuses on the Americana roots influences in our local music scene.

Jamie Lidell with Empress Of and Ludwig Persik

$15 at Fine Line Music Café, Friday, April 5, 8p

After the February release of Jamie Lidell’s self-titled record, he is coming to Minneapolis. The British “sonic innovator” will surely play an interesting show following Brooklyn “keyboard wistful-pop” group Empress Of and Russian-American new wave psychedelic folk artist Ludwig Persik, whose debut EP was produced by Lidell.

FILM//

The Place Beyond The Pines

$8-12.50 at Uptown Landmark Theater, Friday, April 5-Thursday, April 11, 12:45p, 3:50p, 7p, 9:55p

From the director of Blue Valentine (2010) comes a movie about a motorcycle stunt performer turned bank robber in order to provide for his son. Focused on the connection between fathers and sons, this film is bound to be emotional and thrilling, not to mention it stars Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper, and Eva Mendes (need I say more?). The film opens this Friday at the Uptown Landmark Theater.

Bad Friday: Rastafari after Coral Gardens

Free at JBD Lecture Hall, Monday, April 8, 5-7p

Caribbean Student Association (CSA) hosts a film about the history of violence in Jamaica and post-independence hardships. With an emphasis on the ‘Coral Gardens Incident,’ this film shows a side of Jamaica beyond its white sandy beaches where police officers were trained to see Rastas as criminals. CSA will provide Caribbean refreshments at the screening.

VISUAL ARTS//

ARTCRANK Minneapolis 2013

Free at Grain Belt Studios, 79 13th Ave NE, Mpls, Saturday, April 6, 5-11p

This art show features bike-inspired, hand-made posters by Twin Cities artists. After opening night at Grain Belt Studios in Northeast, this show will move to One On One Bicycle Studio in the Minneapolis Warehouse District to be exhibited through May 4. Beer from Widmer Brothers Brewing and food from Chowgirls Killer Catering and 6 different food trucks will be for sale. There will be gift certificate giveaways for bike related services as well as valet bike parking at this event where many Macalester students will be volunteering at.

The Pancakes & Booze Art Show

$5 cover at The LOFT @ Barfly, 711 Hennepin Ave, Mpls, Saturday, April 6, 8p-2a

Are you over 21 and want to eat pancakes to your heart’s content while looking at art? This event that travels around U.S. cities is stopping in Minneapolis on Saturday night. They are hosting visual and audio performances, a free photo-booth, live body painting, and an art battle (whatever that means). You could even stop by this hip art show after ARTCRANK.

THEATRE/DANCE/PERFORMANCE//

Resisting Oppression: JaMinn with Rastafarian Poet Mutabaruka

Free at JBD Lecture Hall, Tuesday, April 9, 6:30-8:30p

If Tuesday’s screening of Bad Friday doesn’t satisfy your interest in Jamaican Rastafarianism, come see Mutabaruka, a radio host and poet from the slums of Kingston. One of Jamaica’s leading voices today for political, economic, and cultural freedom, Mutabaruka’s Rastafarian beliefs influence his activism in areas of sexism, politics, poverty, and discrimination.

James Sewell Ballet

Various ticket prices at The Cowles Center, Friday/Saturday April 5 & 6, 8p, Sunday, April 7, 2p

This is a comic revival of the ballet LOVER set to Richard Rogers and Lorenz Hart’s music. Unlike most ballets, audience participation is encouraged.