Glimpses into Macalester’s winter wanderings

Rome, Italy. Photo courtesy of Nick Miller ‘25.

After a semester of late nights and gallons of coffee, winter break is a chance for our community to rest and reflect. You may have started new projects or shows, or rekindled connections that might not have been possible during the prior months. Perhaps you found some new encouragement to look after yourself or renewed goals to begin the new year. Regardless of what you got up to, The Mac Weekly hopes this new semester brings you moments of joy and growth. 

The Mac Weekly interviewed a handful of people on campus to gain insight into the different adventures that they embarked on over the course of the break. From snowshoeing to city hopping, this photo story showcases the vibrant experiences that excited community members over the month-long break.

Nick Miller, he/him

Macalester Class of 2025

Where were you over winter break? What is something fun you did? 

I went to Rome as a part of the January in Rome program with other Mac people and some classics professors. We saw some interesting sites around the city, both classic tourist sites such as the Pantheon and the Colosseum as well as less touristy spots I wouldn’t have visited on my own, like the Palace of Domitian and the Temple of the Vestal Virgins. 

What are your hopes for this semester? 

I want to focus on myself a lot more, really focusing on self improvement. Going to the gym, doing things I enjoy, stuff like that.

Pokemon themed crafts. Photo courtesy of Kathryn Kay Coquemont.

Kathryn Kay Coquemont, she/her

Vice President of Student Affairs & Dean of Students

Where were you over winter break? What was something fun you did? 

I was in St. Paul, MN. I planned a Pokemon themed birthday party for one of my kids and got crafty.

What are your hopes for this semester? 

I hope that our community stays healthy and that we get a lot of sunshine. I’m also hoping to continue to strengthen my relationship with the student body, at large, and to get to know individual students who I don’t already know, so I can better celebrate your wins and better support you through difficulties. 

Holiday celebration with family. Photo courtesy of Sarah Beth Hobby ‘24.

Sarah Beth Hobby, she/her

Macalester Class of 2024

I was in Sewanee/South Pittsburg Tennessee over winter break and I went hiking and bouldering with some friends over break. It was awesome! 

What are your hopes for this semester? 

My hopes for the semester are maintaining joy and giving myself time to enjoy the different commitments I’ve chosen to keep doing. I hope to improve my time management so that I can take care of myself and show up better in every aspect of my life. 

Snowshoeing in the Cascades. Photo courtesy of Joel Sadofsky ‘25.

Joel Sadofsky ’25, he/they

Academic Affairs Committee Chair for Macalester College Student Government (MCSG)

I visited family in Massachusetts and Vermont before heading back home to Oregon to see my family. I also went on a three-day snowshoeing adventure in the Cascades to the southern point of Lake Waldo. 

What are your hopes for this semester? 

I can’t wait to do good work with MCSG. We’re getting started with a project highlighting alternate grading methods on campus. On a personal note, I want to get outside more and become more of a morning person since I have an 8 a.m. class this semester!

Photo courtesy of Lisa Mueller.

Lisa Mueller, she/her

Associate Professor of Political Science

I attended my family reunion in Oakland Chinatown. A highlight was eating at the New Gold Medal restaurant where my family went every week while I was growing up. 

What are your hopes for this semester? 

I hope to learn a lot alongside my students in a new course I’m teaching, “Protest Hacking: How the New Science of Social Movements Can Empower Activists.”

Photo courtesy of Ari Eggert ‘23.

Ari Eggert, they/he

Macalester Class of 2023

I was here in the Twin Cities over break spending time with family and friends. Early in January, I went to a queer contra dancing event with some friends and learned how to line dance. There was a live band with a banjo!

What are your hopes for this semester? 

In my last semester at Mac, I hope to purposefully take time to be with my loved ones, focus on fully engaging with the classes I’m taking in new disciplines, and make space for little joys like reading a new book, a spontaneous walk to the river or creating art for the first time in a long time! 

Exploring New York City. Photo courtesy of Beja Puskas ‘26.

Beja Puskas, she/her

Macalester Class of 2026

I had a lot of fun over break: staying with some friends and getting to visit a bunch of places like Philadelphia, New York City, Annapolis and Washington DC. Some of my favorite moments were climbing rocks in Central Park, finally tasting Naruto ramen after being a Naruto fan for a long time and going out for food often. 

What are your hopes for this semester? 

I hope I will keep enjoying my classes as much as I have been enjoying them so far and that I will learn as much as possible from my classmates and teachers. I also hope to go back home to the Czech Republic in the summer.