MCSG discusses upcoming election

MCSG discusses upcoming election

Audrey Milk, Contributing Writer

On Tuesday, Sept. 13, the Macalester College Student Government (MCSG) met in the Weyerhaeuser Boardroom for their second Legislative Body (LB) meeting of the academic year. 

The LB briefly discussed the ongoing election for five first-year class representatives. Voting began on Monday, Sept. 12, and closed on Thursday, Sept. 15.

Based on filing, MCSG is slated to have full representation of the class of 2026,” chair of the Academic Affairs Committee (AAC) and Interim Speaker of the Legislative Body Joel Sadofsky ’25 said. “This will give us more energy and bandwidth to work on our regular work and any new initiatives we take on this year.” 

The upcoming election would have included voting for one junior class representative and three senior class representatives, but there were no applicants for the positions. 

Sadofsky continued with a speech to the LB about the current state of MCSG and the commencement of committee meetings and community committee applications opening.

Filing was low on the campus committee applications last fall, so hopefully this will bring student voices where they need to be,” Sadofsky said of the state of community committe applications.

Following, the LB heard presentations from the leaders of two new student organizations seeking approval of their charters: Groove Group and Friends of MSF (Doctors Without Borders). However, the LB tabled the discussion due to unclear language in their Title IX sections. 

On Saturday, Sept. 17, members of the LB will gather for the MCSG Fall Retreat to introduce the new first-year representatives and start work in their respective committees.