LB discusses student organization budgets

Audrey Wuench, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, Macalester College Student Government (MCSG) met to hear budget proposals from many of Macalester’s student organizations. They also discussed details about the upcoming elections for MCSG student representatives, which is scheduled for next week.

In anticipation of this weekend’s Budget Bonanza, held by the Financial Affairs Committee (FAC), members of the Legislative Body (LB) listened to student organization leaders present budgets for the 2022-2023 academic year. Any student organization that requests an annual budget of over $4,000 is required to present their budget to allow LB members to ask questions or voice concerns. 

This year, there were 14 student organizations that requested annual budgets of over $4,000, which is an increase from the nine student organizations from last year. Black Liberation Affairs Committee, Proud Indigenous People for Education, Macalester West Coast Swing Club, the Hegemonocle, MCSG, Outing Club, Climbing Club, Mac Cyphers, Mac Open Mic, Macalester First Aid, Latinx Student Union, Macalester Martial Arts Club, Mac Slams and Macalester Association for South Asian Ethnic and Cultural Awareness had at least one representative speak about their budget.

Members of the FAC will meet all of Saturday and half of Sunday to review and approve every requested student organization annual budget. FAC Chair Rebecca Gentry ’23 told the LB that the FAC will begin their annual revisions to the financial code following Budget Bonanza this weekend.

After hearing budget proposals, the LB’s various committees updated members of the LB on committee work. On behalf of the Student Services and Relations Committee (SSRC), LB Vice President and SSRC Chair Jordanella Maluka ’23 noted that the SSRC has sent a draft of a student survey to an administrative committee that will review the survey’s wording. Students should expect the survey in their inbox within the next month. 

Maluka also made the announcement that Orientation Leaders will receive a $100 stipend for the first time this fall.

Katie McCarthy ’22, the chair of the Student Organizations Committee (SOC), announced that the SOC is currently fielding nominations for student organization advisor of the year award. The deadline for nominations is April 17 and all members of the Macalester community are free to submit one.

Finally, LB members were reminded of the upcoming MCSG election season. The filing period for many positions, including class representative positions, Community Engagement Officer, Diversity and Inclusion Officer and Sustainability Officer, will open on March 27. Members were urged to talk to their peers about the importance of running for MCSG positions.

Jonah Wexler ‘23 contributed to the reporting for this story and is an opinion editor for The Mac Weekly and is on MCSG.