Back-to-campus update

Rebecca Edwards, News Editor

Welcome back. Here’s what you might have missed between May and August…

Only ten of the 20 remaining Democratic presidential candidates qualified for the party’s third primary debate, which was held on Thursday, Sept. 12.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) spoke at Macalester’s Shaw Field on Monday, Aug. 19. The event drew an audience of approximately 12,000, and was the largest of Warren’s campaign to date.

In April, the Minnesota Court of Appeals found the Jan. 2018 renaming of what was formerly Lake Calhoun unlawful. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board have opted not to respect the ruling and to continue calling the lake Bde Maka Ska, its original Dakota name and not Lake Calhoun — even going so far as to replace street signage for what were formerly the Calhoun Parkways. Minnesota has appealed the Court of Appeals’ new decision to the Minnesota Supreme Court.

The search for Macalester’s next president continues, as President Brian Rosenberg prepares to retire at the end of the academic year. The presidential search committee will host an open meeting on Sept. 17 from 1:15–2:15 in Campus Center room 215 to gather student thoughts on the process.

Interim Title IX director at Macalester Tara Adams took a job with U.S. Bank in August and was replaced in the position by Dion Farganis. The college’s search  to replace former Title IX director Timothy Dunn, who resigned in April, is ongoing.

What was the Macalester Career Development Center (CDC) will now be known as Macalester Career Exploration. The program has merged with the Macalester Internship Office.

Late night studiers, rejoice! The Link has been updated to include new furniture, more lockers and all-hours access to the Old Main bathroom.

Several residence halls underwent renovations as well, including Wallace Hall and 30 Mac. 

Before (left) and after (right) the 30Mac kitchen was renovated this summer. Submitted by Coco Du.

The Sounds of Blackness lounge has new interiors to support student functions, including updated furniture and a projector for seminars, group meetings and lectures.

Before (left) and after (right) the Sounds of Blackness lounge renovations. Submitted by Coco Du.

Macalester’s dining program has evolved again: Scotty’s burrito bar in the Leonard Center has been replaced with a ‘power bowl’ bar. For the old Scotty’s menu, students should look no further than the Atrium – which will be serving the classic Scotty’s menu in the evening while maintaining its sandwiches and wraps menu in the afternoon.

In the admissions office, two new Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) fellows, Makaya Resner ’19 and Veronica Zapata ’19, have joined Associate Director of Admissions for Diversity and Inclusion Aisha Gonzalez.

Two new coaches have joined Mac Athletics. Katie Kollar will lead the women’s basketball team, while Dan Schofer will take over coaching of the track teams.