Superb skyway sushi

Minneapolis Skyway’s hottest lunch spot is One Two Three Sushi. Don’t let the fact that it’s in the Skyway deter you, even in light of Minneapolis culinary cult-figure Andrew Zimmerman’s zinger, “half the restaurants in the skyway are serving some of the worst food in the city. They are coasting on convenience.” One Two Three Sushi, a cool informal dining experience located in the IDS Center, is brought to you by the people behind Masu Sushi and Robata and is definitely an exception to that sweeping generalization.

This little sushi joint is a pioneer in the customize-as-you-go sushi trend, at least in the Twin Cities. There are over 40 toppings to choose from, so during your next lunch break you can not only be sure to avoid the stale how-long-has-it-been-sitting-there sushi, but you also don’t have to compromise by choosing between two combos sushi chefs have pre-determined for you. For this choose-your-own-culinary-adventure, start off with a base of white or brown rice and then choose a protein ranging from salmon to green tea smoked chicken to BBQ tofu. Next, select two more fillings such as avocado, Okinawan sweet potato or fresh mango. Finally choose a topping like crushed wasabi peas or tempura crunch and a sauce from sweet miso to a screaming Thai dressing. The sushi you’ve been dreaming about can be all yours for the price of $7.99 (assuming you don’t splurge for $1 extras like poached lobster tail or tempura soft-shell crab). If you don’t have the time or are feeling particularly indecisive, you can also grab a container of their pre-made sushi for the same price as the custom made rolls.
While the name makes it seem like they serve exclusively sushi, this is a Masu project, so you can have great confidence in their ramen offerings. There are three varieties: tempura shrimp, pork belly, and pork tonkatsu. All ramen dishes are served with a soft poached egg, wakame, a fish cake, scallion, togarashi spice and nori. So while the sushi can easily be made vegan or vegetarian, these would be hard dishes to modify to dietary restrictions.

Also, if you’re feeling particularly hungry, add on an order of steamed buns for $5.99. They’ve got great texture and you can choose from four meat fillings: pork tonkatsu or belly, shrimp tempura, or the green tea smoked chicken.

This is a hot commodity in the Minneapolis Skyway scene, so lines can be long during peak lunchtime and seating is hard to come by. On the upside, you get to flaunt this must have accessory for the duration of your walk back to your internship.

80 South Eighth Street
Suite 228
Minneapolis, MN 55402
Skyway Level of IDS Center’s Crystal Court