Café Mac Hacks: Exploring new waffle-friendly toppings

We thought that this week we would dive further into the new all-day waffle station. We have been getting waffles every day and seeing what we could create with them. We have tried both sweet and savory combinations, so you can eat waffles as you main dish, dessert or both!

We think there are many ways to add to the waffle, besides the toppings provided with the savory waffle bar. In addition to the small selection of toppings provided, we thought it could be a great combination to take some of the other entrées in Café Mac and put them on top of a waffle. Think of it as a Café Mac bread bowl.

One item we thought would go well with a waffle is curry from the new station. Now that there are more curry choices than before, it’s an even better time to start pairing them with something other than rice. Instead of dousing your waffle with butter and syrup at dinner time, take your savory waffle to the next level by putting some curry on top of it. The waffle will soak up all the flavors of the curry, while still giving you the health benefits that the waffle alone does not provide.

Another savory option for your waffle is to use it as the buns for your burger. Instead of getting a plain bun, which always ends up being too much bread, take your waffle, break it in half and use it instead. If the burger itself doesn’t appeal to you, and you’re craving a veggie option instead, why not make it into a veggie burger or sandwich? Take either a veggie patty from the grill, or vegetables from the salad bar, and put those between two halves of your delicious waffle to create a sandwich that is just as filling, but a lot more exciting.

However, some days it’s okay to break that health streak. One of our favorite less healthy recipes is the ice cream waffle. What could possibly be better than combining the delicious comfort of this classic breakfast food with ice cream, a sweet reminder of summer. We recommend taking a waffle, adding soft-serve vanilla ice cream, and topping it off with some maple syrup to include the classic breakfast taste. You could also try the different types of ice cream and add the chocolate syrup or other waffle toppings to make an ice cream sundae on a waffle. It is the perfect dessert to end your evening in Café Mac. 

It turns out that waffles and waffle irons have a lot of possibilities for the day to day life of Macalester students. Whether you prefer the classic breakfast waffle loaded up with butter or syrup, one of our new options here, or using the waffle iron as a panini press, the concept of waffles should not be underestimated.