Anya Phillips ’15 leads club water polo as coach

Anya Phillips ’15 coached her first season for Macalester Men’s Club Water Polo this fall. Photo courtesy of Sam Liberman ’20.
]1 Anya Phillips ’15 coached her first season for Macalester Men’s Club Water Polo this fall. Photo courtesy of Sam Liberman ’20.
New Men’s Club Water Polo coach Anya Phillips ’15 is no stranger to success. While at Macalester, she was a four-time All-American goalkeeper for the Women’s Water Polo team. She played soccer here as well. Now, she hopes to give back by coaching.

After spending a year after college travelling around the world to places like Budapest, Australia and New Zealand, Phillips came back home and wanted to get involved with Macalester Water Polo once again. She was immediately offered the head job for Men’s Club Water Polo.

Although it is only a club sport, the team has a very dedicated group of men that come to practice to work hard. According to Phillips, there is a good mix of veterans and new talent on the team. As a coach, she hopes to purvey a love for the game to all her players. She’s happy that there can be a figure for this team outside of the pool, as opposed to one of the captains coaching the team from in the pool. The team this year was young but had great leadership, including captains Ian Lock ’17 and Sean Mock ’17. The team fought against Grinnell College in the conference championship, falling 9-2.