Café Mac hacks: taking the salad bar to the next level

It’s that time of year again: when illness prevails. We are all getting it, except the lucky few who have incredible immune systems, so it is especially important to keep in mind the value of a healthy diet. First and foremost: salad. The salad bar is an incredible asset to Café Mac and one that we believe is highly underrated. Especially as the days get colder and people spend more time indoors, we can’t stress enough how important it is to make sure we’re eating enough veggies and getting all the protein we need. While a salad doesn’t always seem like the most filling or exciting meal, the salad bar is way more than just lettuce, and we have a few great ideas about how to incorporate more vegetables into our diets.

The first recipe we tried was a salad with a veggie burger in it. If you aren’t too hungry but you are worried about getting enough protein, try this recipe. First, go to the Grille and get a veggie burger patty. Next, go to the salad bar and make your favorite kind of salad. Make sure it is full of color so it has different nutrients. Chop up the veggie burger and sprinkle it over the salad. We have also seen people add chicken from the Grille to their salads. Although we cannot vouch for this option, we have heard it is delicious and provides plenty of protein. Testing out the salad bar is a delicious way to get your daily value of protein and other nutrients which accompany a salad.

The next recipe we recommend is the flatbread sandwich. This is another great and easy option for those days when you just are not that hungry. We took two pieces of naan from South and went over to the salad bar. Spread some hummus or your sauce of choice on one piece of naan then go to the salad bar and add your favorite veggies to make it a well-balanced meal. We recommend adding the sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded carrots and some leafy greens for a delicious sandwich.

One of the great things about the salad bar is its extensive number of base items. Rather than just having lettuce and some standard toppings, there are a variety of hearty grains that can make for a fantastic salad or bowl. One possibility is to use the salad bar to make a rice or grain bowl. This involves taking a bowl and putting down a layer of grains or rice. Next, add your favorite toppings. Some suggestions we have to add protein are beans or tofu. Then add another topping such as carrots, corn or whatever your taste buds fancy.

For dressing, you can add a classic like balsamic or ranch, but we think it’s a little more interesting to try something new, like a salsa or even some hummus.

All three of these salad bar creations give you a chance to mix it up a bit with your meals and keep your body healthy at the same time. They’re delicious and your body will certainly thank you down the road! Give them a try and let us know what you think.