Meet Max Kent, center back extraordinaire

Making the step up from high school to college soccer is never easy. However, Macalester center back Max Kent ’20 is adjusting well to the rigors of collegiate athletics. As the son of two UW-Madison soccer players, this may not come as a surprise. However, that doesn’t mean the transition hasn’t been without any difficulties. “Preseason was two weeks of multiple training sessions a day, including team meetings and video sessions, which was exhausting,” Kent said.

While players in college may be stronger and more technical on the ball, that hasn’t stopped Kent — who has started all seven of Macalester’s games thus far — from drawing plaudits for his early-season play. The Scots are 6-0-1 and have won five consecutive games; yet, he is keeping his focus ahead on the rest of the season.

“My goals for the season are to help this team earn another MIAC title and an appearance in the NCAA tournament in November. But we still have two-thirds of our season left, so all my focus right now is on achieving the goals that will help us win our next game on the schedule,” he said.

While only time will tell if those goals are met, if the early season play is anything to go off of, this could be a fun season for Kent and Macalester soccer as a whole.