WMCN DJ profile: M’Lady with Crystal Yam and Eva Larsen

Crystal Yam ’17 and Eva Larsen ’17. Photo by Henry Nieberg ’19.
Each week The Mac Weekly speaks with a DJ on Macalester’s radio station, 91.7 WMCN. This week we sat down with Crystal Yam ’17 and Eva Larsen ’17.

TMW: What is your show, and what can a listener expect when tuning in?

Eva Larsen: Our show is M’Lady. They can expect two ladies.

Crystal Yam: Basically we base our playlist off of a horoscope.

EL: Unrelated to the title, we understand that.

CY: We’ve been partnering up for radio since our first year, and our show back then was called “Crystal and Eva doing random things and not knowing how to do any of the buttons” because back then WMCN didn’t teach us how to do anything.

EL: Yeah, we never went to DJ Training.

CY: Why not do something that means something? So we based our playlist off of Pokémon. And it was really successful, I think? I’m sure. We had a guy who went to a lot of Pokémon battles in real life and talked about the whole process.

EL: Maybe for this show we should get a psychic.

How do you select your music?

EL: We choose a different sign and look up its horoscope. Then we find music that I think has to do with the sign and the horoscope.

CY: If it’s a Leo, per se, Leo’s are known for high-energy, confident types of people, so we want to base our radio playlist on things that are very upbeat and very energetic. Things that make you feel powerful. For Geminis we’re just going to play a lot of two-faced music.

Do you discover new music while doing this?

CY: When our playlist for Pokémon was Squirtle, we did a lot of water-based music, and we would search for a lot of music.

EL: Sometimes it would be music we knew really well and sometimes we would find something that week. We would just go searching for something.

What was the last song you listened to, and does this reflect what you play on your show?

CY: A remix of “Shiki no Uta” by Sapphire.

EL: Our music is very eclectic.

CY: So there’s the whole mainstream music we make fun of but we really like deep down inside, like Ariana Grande.

EL: We play “Kiss Me Through the Phone” a lot.

CY: We play a lot of remixes on SoundCloud, which makes us a little more alternative, but honestly everyone is trying to be more alternative. We have hip hop, nice beats, mellow ones, PC music (like Hannah Diamond stuff). Just representative of ourselves, we’re all over the place.

CY: “Obviously I’m a Leo.” Leo’s strengths: Creative, passionate, generous, warm-hearted, cheerful, humorous. Leo’s weaknesses: arrogant, stubborn, self-centered, lazy, inflexible.

EL: “I shouldn’t be in charge of anyone.” (Larsen is a Pisces) Pisces’s strengths: compassionate, artistic, intuitive, gentle, wise, musical. Pisces’s weaknesses: fearful, overly trusting, sad, desire to escape reality, can be a victim or a martyr.