Weekly DJ profile: WMCN Shoegazi

Jacob Frank '16 is the co-host of Shoegazi, which airs from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Tuesdays. Photo courtesy of Jacob Frank.
Jacob Frank ’16 is the co-host of Shoegazi, which airs from 10 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Tuesdays. Photo courtesy of Jacob Frank.

Tune in to Jacob Frank and Leo Kendrick’s radio show on Tuesdays from 10 to 11 p.m.

What is your show and what can a listener expect when tuning in?

Jacob Frank: My show is called “Shoegazi”. Like “Fugazi” but with a “Shoe-.” Leo Kendrick and I play a lot of Shoegaze this semester, but our longtime fans still find emo gems squeezed in every now and then. Shoegaze means fuzzy guitars, effect pedals (thus the “shoegazing” tag)…think dream pop with distorted vocals. Check out “Loveless” by My Bloody Valentine. I still haven’t found a shoegaze album that I like more than “Loveless.”

How do you select your music?

We’ve been digging through our libraries and doing lots of additional research on relevant bands. The internet makes obtaining a working knowledge of the subgenre so easy for us. Anything we like that fits our loose definition of shoegaze gets added to the show. Even within the subgenre, there are a few distinct sounds. I bring some of the noisier, near-drone tracks pretty consistently, but Leo and I have different tastes — for a show with such a limited scope, you’ll be surprised by the variety in the tracks we play every week.

What do you try to accomplish when having a radio show?

I prioritize playing bangers and not talking for too long about things no one cares about. And smooth transitions.

If a listener tuned at random, what would they hear?

Shoegaze. I think we’re done playing My Bloody Valentine for the semester. It’s more like Pinkshinyultrablast, Lilys, Waveless, The History of Colour TV and Nothing right now.

What was the last song you listened to? Does this represent the music you listen to/play on the radio?

I played “All the Things” by Traumprinz most recently. I’ve been getting into techno and house. Don’t count on hearing it on our show, but good 4/4 dance music has been on my mind a lot lately.

Does Young Metro trust you?

I haven’t heard from Future yet so I think we are.