Suresh Mudragada Accepts Position at DePaul University

Photo courtesy of Suresh Mudragada.
Photo courtesy of Suresh Mudragada.

Last Friday, Feb. 5, Campus Programs announced that Assistant Director Suresh Mudragada had accepted a position as the Associate Director of the Center for Identity, Inclusion, and Social Change at DePaul University. Early next month, Mudragada, who grew up in Auburn, AL and has been at Macalester for four and a half years, will begin his new position at DePaul’s Lincoln Park campus in Chicago.

His last day at Macalester will be Feb. 26. In an interview with The Mac Weekly, Mudragada reflected both on his time at Macalester and what the move to DePaul has in store for him.

TMW:What kind of work are you especially focusing on in your last month at Macalester?

Mudragada: Orientation leader selection happens now, so we’re going through the process of reading applications and scheduling interviews. It’s a group process that takes place all through February. That’s a major project in my portfolio this last month. I’m also continuing to support Ren Tyler and Katie Brown with Program Board and Late Night Programming. Overall, just making sure things are looking good for the semester in terms of programs.

Your current title is Assistant Director of Campus Programs. What additional responsibilities does that position entail?

I advise SOC, the Student Organizations Committee, and we work to revamp org processes, we’re doing the [org leadership] renewal process in March, and we just want to make sure everything for that is good to go soon. We pushed up a lot of processes. We especially want to contact leaders for orgs next year as soon as possible, just to make sure everyone knows about SOLO and the Fall Involvement Fair and how those events can really help orgs. I’m part of the Allies project, and I already did that initial training earlier this semester. I really want to get something together on Islamophobia. I’m hoping to get something together on that before I go, it’s important training for student organizations especially. So yeah, lots of different things.

It sounds like it’s important to you to leave Campus Programs in a good state before you leave?

Yes, definitely. I hate to leave during the semester, especially because spring is so busy, but the opportunity was too good to pass up.

What about your move to DePaul most excites you?

I went to grad school in Chicago, so I lived there for two years and still have a great community there. The position itself is very new for me. I got a lot of experience through the DML doing inclusive programming, and I developed a passion for that. This position will allow me to do a lot of that directly in my role. I’ll be doing lots of programming, advising and working with faculty, too, which is new for me. I’ll be providing programming directly to classes through the Center [Identity, Inclusion, & Social Change] on Chicago itself.

What will you miss the most about working at Mac?

The students, the faculty and staff — there’s just so many amazing people here. It’s been hard getting ready to leave and saying goodbye. I also have an awesome community both at Mac and in the Twin Cities. I’m going to miss this place so much. I’ll be coming back for commencement and Rites of Passage.

What’s your favorite memory from your time at Macalester?

Oh gosh, it’s so hard to choose. I’d say one of my favorite memories has been working with Orientation Leaders each year, students that are volunteering to serve the community to welcome the newest members of the community. It’s always wonderful to see. Some former OLs are now in Chicago, they’re excited for my move. Rites of Passage — graduation ceremony for students of color and their families the day before commencement — is another favorite experience of mine. I’ve attended that event every year.

A farewell reception for Mudragada will be held on February 26 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. in the Weyerhaeuser Boardroom.